4620 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot configure SmartArray e208I-P SR GEN10 on HP MicroServer GEN10

MarcSeguin
Occasional Visitor

Cannot configure SmartArray e208I-P SR GEN10 on HP MicroServer GEN10

Hello,

I aim to use the SmartArray e208I-P SR GEN10 in an HP MicroServer GEN10. Unfortunatly I didn't find a way to get the configuration tools loaded.

- HPE SSA for Windows cannot work as there is no Windows installed yet (logical w/o a valid RAID configuration)

- HPE SSA Offline does not boot in UEFI mode (ssaoffline-3.10-3.0.iso and most recent version ssaoffline-3.25-4.0.iso)

- HPEs UEFI System Utilities (To be launched with F9 during POST) seem not to be available on the HP MicroServer GEN10

- HPE SSP hangs after launching the firmware upgrade.

Any ideas how to solve the issue?

26 REPLIES 26
JAC2
HPE Pro

Hi Marc,

On page 65 of the MicroServer user guide (https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c05355808), there are instructions on how to access the configuration tool (Smart Storage Administrator) for the Smart Array controller.  This tool can be accessed online or offline.  Go to the guide for information on how to access the tool..  Hope this is what you were looking for.

Accept or Kudo

megwynne
HPE Pro

Hello MarcSeguin:

Please take a look at https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00016372en_us to see if that helps to answer some of your UEFI questions.

The troubleshooting guide contains information about updating your firmware: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c05357220

That UEFI document, the troubleshooting guide, and other useful documents are available at the HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Enterprise Information Library:

http://www.hpe.com/info/microservergen10-docs

Regards,

Mary Gwynne

HPE Employee

HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

MarcSeguin
Occasional Visitor

Hello Jac,

on page 65 the document refers to the internal marvell mass storage controller but I need to use the SmartArray e208I-P SR GEN10. According to the Server specs this controller is supported but until now I was not able to use it properly :-(

MarcSeguin
Occasional Visitor

in between we were able to boot the most recent Server Service Pack and configure the RAID on the SmartArray e208I-P SR GEN10 but it was necessary to change the BIOS to legacy mode :-(

Then, as Windows Server 2016, 64 bit supports only UEFI boot, we changed back to UEFI and bootet the Windows Setup, loaded the driver for the SmartArray e208I-P SR GEN10 but no drive is shown anymore.

Are there any suggestions to this issue?

Marc

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@MarcSeguin wrote:

Hello,

I aim to use the SmartArray e208I-P SR GEN10 in an HP MicroServer GEN10. Unfortunatly I didn't find a way to get the configuration tools loaded.

- HPE SSA Offline does not boot in UEFI mode (ssaoffline-3.10-3.0.iso and most recent version ssaoffline-3.25-4.0.iso)

The ISO image does contain the proper directory structure to boot UEFI, did you use the included USB Key utility to create a bootable USB drive?

- HPEs UEFI System Utilities (To be launched with F9 during POST) seem not to be available on the HP MicroServer GEN10

The MicroServer Gen10 does not have iLO or the underlying hardware to support the embedded HPE system utilites. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
DanielL1
Advisor

This card is a nightmare. I saw mine in UEFI and configured the RAID. After powering of the server and fully removing power (disconnecting) I never saw it anywhere again. You are lucky that your card still works - at least somehow...

Have you checked this out already? https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1009955119&swItemId=MTX_25c415675fe646918e7ce64491&swEnvOid=4184#tab5 Hopefully helps you.

@HPE: Any idea, why I don't see the card anymore?!?

LED3 indicates that the controller is in good health: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=null&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00026452en_us The controller is still on version 1.04. Server firmware on ZA10A350.

DanielL1
Advisor

I sent back the controller and got a new one. The new one stopped working as well. At least I found out the problem: don't change Power Mode to Balanced. After I had changed it to Balanced the MicroServer didn't recognize the controller anymore. It's a joke that this bunch of crap is sold as "Enterprise" stuff.

I'm on BIOS Version ZA10A350 for the server and 1.34-0 for the controller.

Also note: you need the Service Pack for ProLiant 2018.06.0 for configuring the controller on BIOS ZA10A350.

DanielL1
Advisor

@MarcSeguin wrote:

in between we were able to boot the most recent Server Service Pack and configure the RAID on the SmartArray e208I-P SR GEN10 but it was necessary to change the BIOS to legacy mode :-(

I can confirm this. The Service Pack is only usable with legacy boot. It does boot in UEFI mode but the display stays blank.

Then, as Windows Server 2016, 64 bit supports only UEFI boot, we changed back to UEFI and bootet the Windows Setup, loaded the driver for the SmartArray e208I-P SR GEN10 but no drive is shown anymore.

Grats to you. I haven't come so far yet. I'll give it a last shot with another replacement. However I doubt that I get it to work and that it runs properly.

What I noticed was that the controller was realized in UEFI mode. I saw it in BIOS, though I couldn't configure it in BIOS with firmware version ZA10A350. A prior version worked. Unfortunately I didn't note the version... Using UEFI in firmware ZA10A350, the configuration options are there but selecting any of them get me back to the inital screen.

Are there any suggestions to this issue?

Do you see the controller in UEFI?

Marc

DanielL1
Advisor

That thing is finally running with RHEL. I'm using UEFI boot. HPE Smart Array E208i-p SR Gen10 Firmware is on 1.60.  Server on ZA10A360.