1751750 Members
5258 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot install linux on Netserver lh 6000

Stefano Iannarone

Cannot install linux on Netserver lh 6000

Dear all

I've a problem installing new releases of Linux on HP Netserver lh 6000. I've tried Red Hat Enterprise 4, Fedora 6, CentOS 4.4 and Ubuntu. The same error is that installation hangs looking for aic7xxx driver. I've tried also to install with noprobe option but it gives me error when, during installation, i have to make partitions of disk. I've seen on HP website about drivers, but there're just for old version of Linux distribution.

What to do?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
steve lewinsky

I ran into this with my LH 3000 Netserver. It seems that the drivers for the older MegaRaid component were removed from the linux kernel. U tried Fedora 5, suse, Centos also, with no luck. But in the newest release of FEDORA CORE 6, they put the old drivers back in.
But I still needed to use the "Linux noprobe" to initialize the install. I then had to select the LSI MegaRaid driver. There are 3 versions, megaraid_sas, megaraid_mbox, megaraid. I am going from memory here, I think I picked the regular "megaraid" driver. Then I also needed the "sysbios" driver, and the aic7xxx.
After that, the system loaded fine.
Now that was on my "LH 3000", I also have a "LH 3" server that this still doesn't work. It locks up while trying to install, or sometime during formating.
So this was what worked on my LH 3000, not sure if it will work with your LH 6000.
Allen Look

Exact same problem for me - tried numerous distros and always hung at the same place. WS2003 will load and boot, but the system "emergency shuts down" at random times.
DavidSouthernglove

I have the same issue but it is on Netserver LH 3000 U3 trying to install RHEL v4

Steve Lewinsky, said, "But I still needed to use the "Linux noprobe" to initialize the install. I then had to select the LSI MegaRaid driver. There are 3 versions, megaraid_sas, megaraid_mbox, megaraid. I am going from memory here, I think I picked the regular "megaraid" driver. Then I also needed the "sysbios" driver, and the aic7xxx."

I see the LSI Megaraid_sas and _mbox but not the regular or plain. Please help
Boris Vega

Halo all!
Did someone solve this problem. I have netserver lh 6000 and i need Linux drivers.
I want to install RHEL 5.

Allen Look

I did find that the system random-rebooted due to a memory error, but I never found a way to install Linux on the system.
Andre H

I was able to install Ubuntu Server 8.04.1 but it hangs on boot up. I will let everyone know when I fix this problem. Oh and I am using the HP NetServer LH 6000.
Joe Bunker

I'm having the exact problem with Ubuntu Server 8.04.1 on a NetServer lh 3000. It stops at a point where it says "agpgart: unable to determine aperture size."

Please post any help - I will do the same.
Joe Bunker

Update: I was actually able to complete the installation, this problem occurs when booting.

After leaving the server for 10-20 minutes it completed booting. I can logon and it seems to work OK.

I still want to figure out why the delay while booting.