6355 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing "system drive"

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1441285

Changing "system drive"

I have an ML370 G3 with a 6400 array controller. I had 6 drives configured into two RAID 5 arrays. I needed to expand the storage so I adding an expansion cage with 2 new drives. I connected the expansion cage to channel 2 and mirrored the drives. I used ghost to copy my c: drive from array 1 to the new array 3. After some fiddling, I got Windows server to recognize the logical drive on array 3 as drive c:. However, array 1 is still the "system" drive. I still require array 1 with boot.ini, etc in order to boot. How can I tell the server that the logical drive in array 3 is the system drive?
Does the system drive have to be "array 1" or does it have to be the first array on channel 1?
3 REPLIES 3
Christos
Solution

Doug, i think that the system boots only from Logical Drive 1.
I had a simmilar problem last week , and i reinstalled everything (ghosting ) in logical drive 1
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

i read a thread (not on this forum) that after "ghosting" the systemdrive you have to boot one time without the original bootdisk attached.
after this boot, the original drive can be reattached.

another option could have been just to replace the disks in the first array with bigger ones? (one by one, waiting for rebuild of the array), expand the logical drive in ACU. then expand the partition in w2k3.

Pieter
CA1441285

The idea was to move c: drive to its own mirrored drive and have data drives on RAID-5. (a best practices approach) It looks like I'll either have to keep the system drive separate from the c: drive, which will work but could be a little confusing, or ghost c: drive back to a new, larger array 1.