1753816 Members
8880 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Compaq Proliant 6500 Help

Leo_56
Occasional Contributor

Compaq Proliant 6500 Help

I am going to do a fresh install on this system. It is used as a training tool for myself on servers. In order to configure the arrays and set up the server I need to run smartstart but I cant get the cd to act as a boot drive. How can I get the system to recognise the ide cd drive and to make it boot from the cd? It connects to the backplane of the storage case. The floppy comes off the system board and it works fine as far as booting. In oreder to run smart start it has to run first at the F1 prompt. I have tried all I know so I figured it was time to ask the pros. Anybody want to send me step by step directions on how to accomplish this? I have read all of Compaqs's manuals on the Proliant 6500 and it isnt covered anywhere.

Thanks in advance
Leo

Leo
1 REPLY 1
CA1329674

Re: Compaq Proliant 6500 Help

I recently inherited a Proliant 6500 PIII Xeon server. Multile scsi drives were dead and the cdrom drive was failing. I replaced the scsi drives and the cdrom drive - but now, like the original poster - this server will no longer boot from the cd drive - it does not even appear to hit the cd during the boot sequence... and there is no system utility partition because I cannot boot from cd to configure the array and recreate the partition!