1753599 Members
6345 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq Prosignia 500 troubles:

CA1204755
Occasional Contributor

Compaq Prosignia 500 troubles:

I don't know where to post this as I didn't see anything pertaining to the Prosignia's. Actually I am in need of figuring out what I have at home, that is my wife bought this "Compaq Prosignia 500" at a garage sale and the gentleman told her it did not have any memory. As I fired it up the following is what appeared on the screen:

147456kb Detected
Compaq System Bios - E15
Processor running at 150mhz.
172 - EISA Configuration Nonvolatile MemoryInvalid Intialization Aborted.
SCSI Devise Detected - System Board, SCSI ID 0: DPES
SCSI Devise Detected - System Board, SCSI ID 1: FUJITSU - M29545-512
SCSI Devise Detected - System Board, SCSI ID 2: COMPAQ - ST32550N
SCSI Devise Detected - System Board, SCSI ID 3: COMPAQ - DPES-31080
SCSI Devise Detected - System Board, SCSI ID 4: ARCHIVE - 4326XX 27871 XXX
SCSI Devise Detected - System Board, SCSI ID 5: COMPAQ - CRD-254V
Run System Configuration Utility
Press "F1" key to continue
Press "F10" key for System Partition Utilities.
Answer: The System Partition Utilities are not available on this system, Press any key to continue,(as I press to continue:the following)
Invalid partition table
This is as far as I can go. I have no way of knowing whether there is any OS installed, is there someone who from observing what I have indicated here, tell me what it is that I need in order to get this to boot up and become functional?
Any and all replies are truly welcome at this point,

John Naughton
3 REPLIES 3
CA1231535

Re: Compaq Prosignia 500 troubles:

I see you posted this problem in a number of places, you even got a response from some seemingly knowledgable people.
I would like to state that you should not do anything until you open the system up and see if there is installed memory. Are you OK to do that?

Error 172 - EISA Configuration Nonvolatile MemoryInvalid Intialization Aborted

This is an error code stating a memory issue. I recall the guy your wife purchased this from stated there was no memory. The remaining statements are your devices detected by the bios. I have a ProSignia 500 running Windows 98 it works great. I would like to add, all of the statements Ben and the other guy made from the other postings is valid info only jumped ahead a bit I think. I have requested a e-mail to be sent to me when a reply is entered so if you reply I will be able to help you further. If you have no memory I will open my box and give you some info as to what my memory is so you know what to purchase. Just so you know who is responding, I am A+ Certified Tech, MCP, CCNA, Network+ Certified, and other less popular certs. So I am qualified to give you some decent information. I was at the HP site looking for information to see about changing my system to some flavor of UNIX when I noticed your thread. Let me know?
CA893598
Honored Contributor

John,

The Prosignia server is the predecessor to the Proliant, so you're in the right place.

Your server does have memory in it - look at the top line of the screen where it says 147456kb detected - that's 144Mb of memory, 16 Mb onboard and 128 Mb of additional memory.

The 172 - EISA Configuration message indicates that the configuration data has been lost or corrupted, you need to run the configuration utility to let the system reconfigure itself. This would normally be done by pressing the F10 key, but it seems that the utility is not installed on the system.

If you have the SmartStart CD you can boot the server from it or you can download the utility from http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html . The download will create four diskettes, boot from the first and insert the others as prompted.
CA1231535

Oops, Sorry John/Ernest I missed that top line :(