5131 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq Smart-2/DH in HP Netserver Lxr pro

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ramon Bertrand

Compaq Smart-2/DH in HP Netserver Lxr pro

I'm trying to install windows 2000 server on this server and want to do it on a logic drive (mirror) on my smart-2. But I can't get the Lxr to boot from the smart-2, even though I have configured the server's bios to boot from external devices.

When I try to install windows, it locks up when saying "Inspecting your computers hardware configuration". Even when I disable one of the onboard controllers which I don't need ( the other is needed for scsi-cdrom)

Everything has the last firmware and the cabling/terminating and so on has been done correctly.
6 REPLIES 6
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq Smart-2/DH in HP Netserver Lxr pro

Hi Ramon,

Smart Arrays are not supported on the netservers. They work with proliant servers. I don't believe that you can get it to work because there is no driver that workes with LXr Pro for Smart Array.

I might say here that the server hangs because the compatability check is not passed by the windows 2000 setup process

However, You can try this I am not sure if it will ever work
1. download the windows 2000 driver for the smart array-2/DH controller from this link
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/17322.html
and unzip this download in to a floppy diskette
2. Press F6 when the windows 2000 setup hardware inspection stage started 9Make sure you are fast enough to press F6 before the inspection reaches to the point it is trying to check the raid controller--I recommend just when inspection start)
3. Press S to load the driver from the floppy diskette you ahve just created from the driver download
4. COntinue the setup process

Let me know what happens please

regards
Amha Kassa
Ramon Bertrand

I installed win2k server on another hd connected to the onboard controller. The array controller works fine this way, so this shouldn't be an issue.

But when the computer begins to inspect the hardware configuration, you haven't got the blue setup screen already. So I can't select the driver yet. It locks up before you get the blue setup GUI.

I experienced this problem before when trying to install to a defective IDE drive. But I'm sure the SCSI disks are 100% ok.
amhakassa
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Ramon,

I believe you can press F6 before you got to the windows setup blue screen just when the "inspecting your ..... " starts don't be late press F6 fast enough when it just start that

Another question is, have you configured a RAID setup on this controller at all?

Regards
Amha Kassa
Ramon Bertrand

Ok, I'll try tomorrow :)
And yes the array is configured.

Thx
Ramon Bertrand

Well, I can't push F6 in the screen.
I'm trying something else now.
A debug NTDETECT on boot floppy's.
Seems to work so far, more about it later on!
Ramon Bertrand

I finally found what is the problem.

When the SCSI BIOS of the onboard controller is loaded (starting with bootable cd-rom), the windows setup hangs. I can't find a firmware upgrade for the onboard controller (AIC-7880 V1.2s13) so I have to work around the problem.

To work around it, you can boot the setup from floppy disks. Don't forget NOT to boot the bios with the bootable cd-rom in. You could disable the cd-rom boot function for ease.