ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753524 Members
4960 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Copy entire C: drive to a new drive

Daniel Yao

Copy entire C: drive to a new drive

I want to replace C: drive with a bigger drive. How do I copy entire C: drive with Vista OS, programs, data to a USB connected bigger hard drive.
I used Norton Ghost V.12, but it failed. And can't get any help from Symantec.
Any one know how to do it?
Will HP Backup & Rescovery do the trick?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Robert
Advisor

I have a feeling your in the wrong posting area "Servers", however, I might be able to help, for the process your looking for also applies to many Servers. If your wanting to replace your current C drive with a bigger drive, you don't need to use an external USB.
Copying direct from the old drive to the new is preferred. External USB is nice for backups after the fact.
All you need is the right program, your replacement drive prepared and added to your current system internally, copy the C partition to the new drive, remove your old drive and replace it with the "now" new drive.
In order to get the process and the sequence right, I need to know what type of drives your dealing with, SCSI, IDE, Sata.
Include the Make and Model number of your current drive and the one you intend to replace it with.
I assume you have no floppy, but do have ROM and USB 2.0.
???
Daniel Yao

Hi Robert,

Thanks for reply. You are right, I post it at wrong area.
I am using Compaq 6510b notebook, Vista Business, and external USB 2.0 connected 200G Hitachi SATA new drive.
I guess I will try acronis.com's free trial version. Hope it allow me to copy almost 60G full drive for free.
If you have some idea please advise.
Thanks again.
Daniel
Robert
Advisor

First off, we'll close this HP session because of it's category. Next, email me at testing01@hotmail.com and we'll take it from there. Closing Session.