ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1751823 Members
5166 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL140 G3 Hangs on E200 During Boot

SEAN FAUST

DL140 G3 Hangs on E200 During Boot

I have installed a single channel PCI-E SCSI HBA in the PCI-E slot on the riser board. I have updated the system BIOS and the BIOS on the SCSI card. With the SCSI card in the system the server hangs on the E200 controller card and will not boot to the OS. I get the following error message:

Expansion ROM Initialization Failed
cmd=1h err=020h dlu=0AC:0H

Trying to front end an MSL2024 with the server but to no avail afer hours on the phone with HP support.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Sean
6 REPLIES 6
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Just a thought, but maybe you could alter the assigned IRQ for the PCIe SCSI HBA in the system RBSU.

If the PCIe SCSI HBA has a bootable BIOS, and you don't plan to boot from the storage attached to it, perhaps you could try disabling the bootable BIOS on the PCIe SCSI HBA.

I'm guessing with a DL140 G3 you don't have a lot of options to move the cards to different slots on different PCI buses.
SEAN FAUST

The only option I have on the server is to go F10 setup. Boot options are very similar to a PC. Also not sure how to change the IRQ's on the PCI slots, I thought those were fixed.

HP has escalated this up from India/South America. Nice folks but not very good at troubleshooting. I had done everything they asked and then had to do it 5 more times.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Sorry, I forget that the DL1xx series doesn't share the same functionality of their bigger brothers.

If you could temporarily plug the PCI SCSI HBA into another system perhaps you could confirm that the card hasn't failed. Also, you could possibly check to see if the bootable BIOS could be disabled.

The only other things I could think of would be firmware. Perhaps you could temporarily pull the PCIe SCSI HBA and upgrade the system BIOS. The latest system BIOS claims to correct an option/expansion ROM initialization issue. This could be it.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1842838&swItem=MTX-3baf489ac801424198e6b2e73b&prodNameId=3285485&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=3
SEAN FAUST

Thanks for the reply. I updated the BIOS without the card in...that did not resolve. I replaced the mother board, updated the BIOS, put the HBA back in and still would not boot. Updated the BIOS on the card and the E200 and still would not boot.

Put the card in another DL140 G3 and got the same results. Got a replacement HBA, updated the BIOS on the replaced card and still would not boot.

This card is specifically for attaching tape libraries too and has limited option inside the BIOS of the card.

I think I am toast on this one. Very frustrating.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Wow, it sounds like you've tried about everything. Is the PCIe SCSI HBA an HP card? If so, it is approved/certified for the DL140 G3?
SEAN FAUST

Yes, an HP card purchased from HP and told to me by pre-sales engineer that the card will work.