1748183 Members
3633 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL140 G3 Xeon - Fans too Noisy!

simon lane

DL140 G3 Xeon - Fans too Noisy!

Hi,

I have just purchased a HP DL140 G3 server and am getting a lot of excessive noise of the unit from the fans. The machine is very loud when it starts up (I'm used to that as our other servers do this), but then once the fans calm down they are still running quite loud.

I updated the bios version to 1.1.3 (23May07) when I got it but this hasn't helped.

The fans seem to be changing speed and associated noise with varying temperatures in the server rack - is there something I need to instal or confiure to fix this issue?

The server is used in an office environment and I will have to look into getting a replacement system if this level of noise is normal.
3 REPLIES 3
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

You need to install the Proliant Support Pack. It is downloadable from the HP site and is O/S specific. In servers around this age, this installs software that controlls the fan's.

Be aware that if there isn't sufficient airflow/cooling where the server is stored they will run louder/faster to keep the device cool.
simon lane

I had a look at the support pack but it appears that it is not for this particular server family as the server was not listed in the supported product section. Also, surely the server does not need a support pack since the fan speed is changing ok as the temperature drops/increases.

When you say 'In servers around this age' are you hinting that it is an old server as it was purchased recently?

I had a look at the technical specs of my other servers and found the operating noise specs were as follows:-

LWAd (1 B = 10 dB) : 5,7 B*** 5,8 B***
LpAm (bystander position): 39 dB*** 40 dB***

The HP server in comparison is running nearly twice as loud (at a guess).

I'm going to see if I can get a replacement sent out from the reseller or perhaps a different model and will update you on if that makes any difference.

Stuart Jeffery

I have just recieved one of these servers and was beginning to panic as fans were running at full speed.

I have lifted the lid and found that where all the fans lead is to the controller and cable was not connected and this was not controlling the fans.

Have a look.

Stuart