ProLiant Servers - Netservers

DL160 G5 Windows 2003 install fails

Marcel Braber

DL160 G5 Windows 2003 install fails

About 6! weeks ago we bought a DL160 G5 (460235-425). A nice but loud server. We had some problems installing Windows 2003 and we found a couple of threads on this forum.

We tried all solutions (N-Lite, F6, IDE install then convert, etc.)

After 2 weeks we contacted Support. They gave us a couple of solutions but never made a difference. We followed all steps as they described how to install W2K3. Nothing Worked. We bought another FDD to make sure this wasn't the problem. The same with the DVD drive. No luck.

They wouldn't send a tecnician but offered to start the DOA procedure. With the new server, still the same problems. The call is now at the 2nd line, but they won't return our calls. Customer relations doesn't respond to our email.

The time and attention we gave this server is far beyond the value of the server and HP is refusing to help us. The first line comes with simple solutions to keep us busy. We tried i think a dozen of drivers, and every support engineer says that another CP is the right one.

We tried: 7703 8694 8697 8797 6049 7770 7914 8698 9031 9134 40388.....

Can someone help us here. Thanks in advance!!!

8 REPLIES 8
Marcel Braber

Re: DL160 G5 Windows 2003 install fails

Sorry, forgot to mention the actual problem:

No hard drive found when RAID is enabled and Array Raid 1 is created. If installed when IDE is enabled then install works. If we convert to RAID after IDE install then we get a BSOD.
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

I have checked n it works, write down the exact array controller your server have.

May be its a custome built or things not on standard spec.

Mostly it should be embedded array controller?
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

The statement "We tried all solutions (N-Lite, F6, IDE install then convert, etc.)"

force me to think the driver you use is not apt for the controller you have.
Mário neves

Hello,

I have the same problem, HP Support sent me a HP USB Floppy Drive Key to solve the problem, but i can´t install server 2003.

They tell me the solution is a HP Floppy Drive, the only solution, we have a problem, a big problem, if the manufacturer of the server don´t help us.

Marcel Braber

We used the Raid driver that belongs to Windows server 2008.

So try to download that RAID driver and I hope it works.

Mário neves

Hello,

did you use this driver:

HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller Driver for Windows Server 2008 6.13.0.32

How did you install the server 2003:

- RIS
- Nlite
- USB Drive Floppy

thank you, for your help
Marcel Braber

We used F6 with an USB floppy drive. Don't know exactly which driver we used but i know for sure that it was for W2k8
Mário neves

Hello again,

At last .....

I download the controller driver of windows 2003/windows 2008, and safe it to a CD.

then i tried to install server 2008, it give me the same error, but server 2008 have an option to recover the system, before we try to install it, and there, we can add some drivers to the system by CD (server 2003 doesn´t permitted).

I order a scan in the CD drivers and it was found one controller :)

Then i install Server 2008, with no problem.
Let me try now Install server 2003, With Nlite i integrated all drivers into the installation from de CD Drivers.

Reboot system, and voilà, the disks were detect.

I have install several servers, but this one was that installation i will not forgot.

PS: At this time i am waiting for a response from HP support, they don´t know how to install the server without a HP USB Floppy drive.

Thank You to all, for your help.