ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753851 Members
7643 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL160 G5 server install Windows XP Pro!

Wu Guo-Zhen
Occasional Visitor

DL160 G5 server install Windows XP Pro!

Dear allя╝Ъ
I need to install Windows XP Pro on our DL160 G5 servers . HP does not support win XPP on the DL160 G5 server. Has anyone successfully installed Win XPP on these machines or do you know where I can find drivers for Win XPP ?
Thanks for supportуАВ
13 REPLIES 13
bcoyzed

Same here, i am having 6 DL160 G5

while i am having trouble on how to install the OS on these machines (no Optical Drive installed), and was tasked to install WinXP Pro on it but to no luck.

is there a specific SmartStart Disc for this machine?

ei guys, we need your help...
bcoyzed

Hi Wu,

got a good news!!

i was able to successfully install XP pro on the box. (DL160 G5)

but some things has to be done. don't worry it's not really that difficult.

basically, you may wonder why i wanted to install XP pro on it. It is actually because i was tasked to create a rack mounted HP BAC probe/PC machine; and HP DL160 G5 was the choice hardware due to its slim design and specifications and i only need to install a client OS not a server OS.

since at first i was not successful with XP,i even resorted to install windows Server 2003 R2 standard on it but still to no luck. 2K3 R2 STD doesn't continue its installation due to undetected Hard Disk, maybe its because of RAID/SCSI driver issue, since the disks were connected thru a SAS array Controller (LSI Logic). (i wonder why HP doesn't have a SmartStart CD for this)

well anyway,

"the solution (i hope you'll agree :) )"

item needed: a Typical SATA HDD. Why? the SAS HDDs have different interface than a Typical SATA HDD.

item/s to be removed:

the DL160 G5 i have, comes with an LSI Logic SAS Controller and its peripherals (a daughterboard). these has to be removed.

the DL160 G5 have 4 onboard SATA ports (located at the middle left part, near to the IDE port)

connect the SATA hard Disk on these ports and you are good to go to install XP Pro.

Problem how to keep the disk on the hardware?
just transfer the casing of the SAS HDD to your SATA HDD and surely it'll fit.

good luck..

but after all this efforts,i was then again tasked to install Windows Vista on the probes... c",)

hope this helps..

Ronald Yacketta

A tad hard to follow :)

Are you saying that I just need to remove the SAS in Bay one to Bay 3 and put a SATA drive in bay 1 and all should be good?

Or do I have to crack the case and do some magic?

bcoyzed

Yes!!

i did mean to open the whole box. the SAS Array controller needs to be removed though you may have an option to keep it as it is, but you only have the SATA HDD should be connected to the Onboard SATA ports. make sure that the boot sequence should point to you Onboard SATA.

leonn vd heijden

Hi,

Can somebody tell me where to download the drivers for networkcard, vga?

Thanks Leon
Igor Ivoilov

I found solution to install win 2k3 server on DL160 without taking out LSI controller.
Idea to use USB floppy disk did not work because when installer needs drivers for the 2nd time (stupid!) it does not have usb support. So I had to modify the installation disk to include these drivers on it. I have done it with nlite (http://www.nliteos.com/) and further installation was very smooth.

For all this trouble I want to blame MS but not HP. It's stupid (in 2003) to rely on existance of FDD, I don't see FDD on servers since 2000.
Eme Iheanacho
Occasional Advisor

Hi All,

I have a different method. Remove the SC40Ge card if you have to. You can install a SATA drive on a regular HP machine using your copy of Windows XP without installing the drivers. Then transfer this drive to the DL 160 G5 connected to the first SATA controller on the board. The drive should booth and then connect an external CD to a USB port on the server and using the supplied CD install the Video and Network drivers for Windows 2003 server 32 bit. The only driver that didn't work for me was the SC40Ge. And yes you have to open up the server.

I am looking for drivers for the same server for Windows 2000 server and this is because a client has bought 3 units and does not want to upgrade to 2003 server and exchange. The method above did not work for Windows 2000. It installed but only Video driver has worked so far
sangkar ganess

Hi,

I manage to install win2003 without any hardware removable, just used external USB floppy drive. copy over the sas driver (dload from LSI webpage).when need the driver unit auto pick up from floppy drive..
That is , I have my Win2003k in DL160 G5.when need the driver unit auto pick up from floppy drive..
Arek KO┼ЪCIESZA

What size flash USB is compatibile for BIOS ? or format partition ?