4898 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL180 G5 with E200 RAID-5 logical drive error

Vincent PICON
Frequent Visitor

DL180 G5 with E200 RAID-5 logical drive error

Hi to all,
I'm looking for help because I've lost a RAID-5 logical drive...

The server is a Proliant DL180 G5 with 6 disks of 72Gb in a RAID-5 configuration on a E200 128Mb (FW 1.80). There is 2 partitions for system and data, and OS is Windows Server 2008.

After summer holidays, server didn't respond anymore so i used iLO to see what is the problem, and it was saying that boot fails. So, after a reboot, on the E200 POST, i saw that 2 disks (5 and 6 on controller bay 2) were up again after a disconnection (!?). So on the menu "F1 disable/ F2 enable with possible data loss", i pressed F2 to continue on the logical drive which seems OK now in the E200 status. But i could not boot anymore...

So my question is, did i loose all data on the RAID-5 because of the 2 disks disconnection (sadly not only one, and don't know what happened)? Is there a hope to recover data, knowing that i didn't go physically to the server yet and didn't explore all possibilities (boot on CD, etc.)? Is this problem recurent on DL180 G5?

Thanks for your help.
2 REPLIES 2
Vincent PICON
Frequent Visitor

Everything is working now, it seems that I didn't loose any data, and the boot fail was a BIOS modification to boot only in CD/DVD after the E200 controler disabled the logical drive...oh my, should have seen this...

Anyway, I don't understand why these 2 disks were having problems, because reboot was made by Windows during night to apply updates, apparently it wasn't any environment problem (AC, temp, etc.). I still don't know if it's a known issue on these servers, maybe someone has an idea?...

I attach ADU report, if someone is curious.
Vincent PICON
Frequent Visitor

Problem with BIOS boot happened again! At least on 3 servers, which means that when Windows Server 2008 is rebooting to apply updates during night, the boot selector in BIOS is no more on Hard Drive (E200 controler card) but on CD/DVD or disabled!! How is it possible for BIOS to modify the boot order without my intervention?

Well, I suppose it's a E200 controller problem, like a temporary desactivation of the card that the BIOS doesn't see anymore so is considering that there is no more hard drive in the box, but of course the controller card is still here and works like a charm, so what's the damned problem with this??! Does someone know something about the bug??!

I have 10 DL180G5 servers with E200 controller cards, same configurations, and it only happens on 2 or 3 servers...