ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1751742 Members
5921 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL320: Unable to upgrade GB0250EAFJF drive firmware to HPG6

David Achtenberg

DL320: Unable to upgrade GB0250EAFJF drive firmware to HPG6

We are attempting to test a drive firmware upgrade on the DL320 G5p platform. The drive model number is GB0250EAFJF. Our DL320 has three of these 250 GB drive. The OS is CentOS 5.1. We are unable to upgrade the drive firmware from HPG1 to HPG6 using all of the steps as documented on the HP web site.

There is a list of HP Smart Array controllers that are listed as required (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-7f10dd5e95754fcf8e0fb61f46тМй=en&cc=us&idx=1&mode=4&). Our DL320s do not have any of the listed controllers.

How do we go about upgrading the drive firmware?
9 REPLIES 9
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL320: Unable to upgrade GB0250EAFJF drive firmware to HPG6

Hi David,

Download the Firmware maintenance CD from below link, Write the ISO image to CDROM using Nero or other burning software, boot using hte CD , that would do it for you.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-73c82be98b5f4eb3ac4b72c2e3

David Achtenberg

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned above, we were unable to upgrade the drive firmware using all of the steps as documented on the HP web site, which included using the firmware maintenance CD referenced in the link that you provided.

We are attempting to do the drive firmware upgrade because it was recommended. However, our DL320s do not have a Smart Array controller, which is listed as a requirement. Does this mean that the drive firmware is not required for our DL320?

I've the same problem. Please let me know if you have anything update. I don't have the required controller. How can I update the firmware?
Chris Covington

We are having a similar problem here in an ML150 G5 server. Our GB0250EAFJF (v. HPG1) is connected to the onboard SATA controller and is unrecognized by both the standalone update program and the Maintenance CD. We need this system to be reliable and cannot afford to worry about the potential for a hard drive failure, regardless of how rare the issue may be.

If the firmware really cannot be updated on systems without a particular controller card, which makes no sense, then are we expected to request an updated replacement?
pjs_gsy
Occasional Advisor

BUMP!

I've got the same problem now with DL180's G5's and E200 raid controllers.

Online update does not work with e200, the latest firmware maint cd still does not support updating these machines.

A linux update for HPG8 is available, but now boot disk to try and load it.

Did any of you get a solution to this?

Anyone from HP care to comment?

Thanks.
Gauvin

Just handled this yesterday on my ML350 with the 160GB version upgrade to G8 on an E200i controller. This controller only allows for offline upgrades.

Download ISO and make a system firmware CD Version 8.50.

Unfortunately this only includes the G6 upgrade so you need to download and use USB key utility to create a USB thumbdrive to boot from (1GB or higher).

Download the G8 upgrade. Make sure you get the *.scexe file not the regular .exe file. It was cp010954.scexe for me.

Copy this file to the thumdrive:\cpmpaq\swpackages directory.

Reboot altering the BIOS boot sequence to USB first. Then go to firmware upgrade and you should see the G8 upgrade, and maybe a few others you didn't know about.

Reboot changing the BIOS boot sequence back to normal. USB is normally #3.
Wolfgang Broecker
Occasional Visitor

I tried this with DL180's G5's and E200 raid controllers.
The firmware CD or the USB does not work on DL180 G5.
How to upgrade the firmware of the SATAs in this configuration?
Daniel Arrieta
Frequent Advisor

DL180 G5 with Storage Controller ├в P400 ├в Disks in RAID array

Steps:
1. Create bootable USB key from ISO image found in Softpaq SP43542.

a. USB key can be created using HP├в s USB key utility (using fwutil.iso) below:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-9dce57232dd147989f8d00c6df

NOTE: the fwutil.iso file must be mounted as a windows driver letter or burned to CD media. The USB key utility will not correctly with an .iso file.

2. Boot from USB key.

3. Make appropriate choice from menu to select the correct flash component. Follow on screen prompts to flash drives.
4. Reboot to Host OS.
5. To confirm the fw version on drives, use Acucli from inside the operating system.
Daniel Arrieta
Frequent Advisor

HP DL320 G5p with embedded SATA RAID enabled.

1. Create bootable USB key from ISO image found in Softpaq SP43542.

a. USB key can be created using HP├в s USB key utility (using fwutil.iso) below:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-9dce57232dd147989f8d00c6df

NOTE: the fwutil.iso file must be mounted as a windows driver letter or burned to CD media. The USB key utility will not correctly with an .iso file.

2. Power on the system and choose F9 to enter the BIOS setup when prompted during POST
3. From the main menu choose Advanced and then embedded software RAID and disable
4. Boot from the USB key created in step 1.
5. Make appropriate choice from menu to select the correct flash component. Follow on screen prompts to flash drives. (note: drive models can be checked via /proc/scsi/scsi)
6. Reboot the server and choose F9 to enter the BIOS setup utility and re-enable the Software RAID in the advanced menu which was disabled in step 3.
7. Reboot the system and verify the software RAID is re-enabled

8. The disk firmware version can be verified on POST or via /proc/scsi/scsi from within the OS