ProLiant Servers - Netservers

DL360 1706-Smart Array 431 Controller Extended BIOS

Mike Cox MBC

DL360 1706-Smart Array 431 Controller Extended BIOS

Hello everyone,

We have a Compaq Smart Array 431 controller which is suddenly giving us a 1706-Smart Array 431 Controller Extended BIOS data area memory has been corrupted. System Halted." I have tried replacing the card with an identical one and have gotten the same results. This system is running Windows 2000 Server.
5 REPLIES 5
Ron Moody
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL360 1706-Smart Array 431 Controller Extended BIOS

What model server is it in and what PCI slot is the array controller in?
Mike Cox MBC

It's a Compaq Proliant 350 server. The card was running in the first of the two 64bit PCI slots, I have tried changing it to the other PCI slot with the same result. I have also switched the card out with another (known good) card of an identical model (Smart Array 431 Controller) and receive the same error. The system boots fine when the card is removed.
Ron Moody
Frequent Advisor

A 1706 error is usually a drive error.
Are you sure all the drives are good?
Is the array controller set to the 1st boot device in the BIOS?
Mike Cox MBC

The drives and the card both are accessible fine in another machine (not a Compaq). They were never boot drives in either of the machines.
Ron Moody
Frequent Advisor

If you are quite sure of all the above, it leaves nothing else but a bad system board or backplane.
We have several thousand CPQ servers and I have seen a few come in bad from the factory.
I would suggest you call tech support and get a case number on this or you could be going around in circles for a while...
1-800-231-9977