1752755 Members
5045 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G4p Adapter Teaming under XP

jspiga
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G4p Adapter Teaming under XP

Firstly, I know that running Windows XP on a DL360 G4p is not formally supported, however I'm running a test to see wether we can get by with just XP licenses as opposed to server licenses. We're about to buy about 40 of these beaut server that are going to do a heap of video encoding within a data centre - and there's no real need for a Server-class OS to be installed on them. So, on to the question...

I have got XP installed on the DL360 G4p and have installed all components of the Proliant Support Pack with teh exception of the Version Control Agent (I think that we can manage without this) and the HP Network Configuration Utility. I would like to get the NCU installed so that we can team the NICs in the server for improved redundancy.

Installing the NCU from the SmartStart CD fails. I am currently having an argument with the log file though. "This component does not need to be installed on this system" says the log file. I say that it does. No matter how much I reason with the log file, it just ignores me (OK, I'm trying to bring some humour into things here...).

I have also downloaded the Carepaq at http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/networking/us/download/19551.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN, which returns the same result.

Can anyone offer and hints of tips as to how I could manage to install said software on the server?
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable

How did you install XP Pro on the DL360? We keep getting PCI.SYS errors. We are using the servers for video encoding as well, and are going to be shooting for the same goal regarding the teaming.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I have no idea if the following will work or not, but here is a thought.

Temporarily install one of the DL360 G4p's with Windows Server 2003 but without the NIC driver or the NCU (Network Configuration Utility).

Using WinInstall, Wise, FileMon/RegMon, or whatever setup capture program you are familiar, capture the changes made by the installation of the NIC driver and the installation of the NCU.

Install Windows XP without the NIC driver on the DL360 G4p, and apply the file/Registry changes you previously captured from the Windows Server 2003 install.

If you decide to try it, please let me know if and how well it works.
jspiga
Occasional Advisor

Dan,

I used regular retail Windows XP media to do the installation. When prompted to hit F6 to install additional storage controller drivers, I used the drivers that can be found at http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23379.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN.

Going back to my original post, I never got adapter teaming to work under Windows XP. Our in-house developers who are developing the encoder software that we're going to be using on these servers said that they could build in network redundancy on the application layer, but would prefer to avoid doing so.

The decision was then made to spend the few hundred dollars extra and go with Windows Server 2003 across all of the servers instead of scrimping and getting an "unsupported" OS on the servers. This was my preferred option, but management don't always see things from the most technically correct aspects and often would rather save a few dollars here and there. I'm actually relieved that technical common-sense prevailed in my case - it will probably make support of this deployment easier for me in the long run.

I will have a couple of DL360 G4p's for our testing and staging environment, so I might give the previous suggestion a go in a couple of months. Sadly, the timeline for this deployment is going to prevent me from doing it sooner.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

It sounds like everything is working out for the best. Best of luck!
CA1398757

I believe that the install utility is looking at the OS version and preventing the installation on an unsupported OS.

You are better off using 2003 server to accomplish this anyway. Supported OS's are always going to be the preferred route except when using the server in non-production environments.

I assume that the developers are unwilling to attempt this using Linux? Granted, you'd be getting into unsupported territory again, but you can do the free installs there to minimize cost.

Alternatively, stick with the web edition of 2003 and save a few bucks there. Limits at 2CPUs, but then again, so does the 360.
CA1416192

Hi jarrod

I see that you have succesfully isntalled all component of the Proliant Support Pack on your DL360 under Windows XP

What version do you have used ?
Do you have a HP Insight Foundation Agents service running on your server?

Thanks in advance.