ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752614 Members
4367 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 Died with burning smell... where to start with diags...?

jxm28788
Occasional Advisor

DL380 Died with burning smell... where to start with diags...?

I left my DL380 installing some software and left the room, when I returned the screen was blank and the room smelt of burning electronics (it's a very distinctive smell!).

The fans were still running and it gave ecery indication of still running other than the screen. I switched it off imediately and left it for a while.

I've tried switching it back on again and it sounds like it's powering up (fans etc), but nothing else happens.

Given the lack of screen how do I diagnose this...? Does it imply a broken MOBO, or could a single componant (cpu/ram/etc) prevent it from starting up correctly...?
6 REPLIES 6
Robert
Advisor

Re: DL380 Died with burning smell... where to start with diags...?

Imagine if it faulted the same way and no smell. Harder to locate, so in a round about way, you're lucky you have this indicator.

You didn't specify model ML380 (which one). I suggest you check with the HP website for model specifics, and while there, download the pdf's for it. These will give you step by step and pictorial information, especially in the do-it-yourself category.

There's also the question of Warranty for that specific model. If you're the first owner, it's possible you have warranty, or if it's second hand, the sales receipt of the previous owner could be valuable. If no to either, the HP information downloads are still needed to at least confirm parts identification and handling.

Open the case for ventilation.
Pull the power supply and smell it.

Pull the Ram and check it for burned areas and smell. If all seems well, leave the ram aside and check for burned areas of the motherboards surface part area.

Pay particular attention to the standup electrolytic capacitors, that they are not exploded, or their tops are not crescent rounded, an indication of internal gases bulging the part. If this seems OK, (next)

Considering the most likely's:
...it's power supply, motherboard parts, Ram, in that order or the rare combination of either.
If none of these items smell harsh, keep checking.

My bet is on the supply.
I'll be monitoring for your progress. Good luck. Robert
jxm28788
Occasional Advisor

Found it... these two componants on the mobo would seem to be the culprits. Don't know what they did, but they don't do it any more.

Assuming, I can't just remove them and solder some new ones in, does anyone know how I can get a new mobo?

The server is 2nd hand and out of warranty...

"DL380R02 P1266 512 A/P"
Robert
Advisor

You found what? A Picture of the parts you're talking about would be nice.
jxm28788
Occasional Advisor

picture was attached to the previous post (see icon top right)
Robert
Advisor

Sorry I didn't get back sooner than now, sorry I missed the gif. It looks like these caps are couplers rather than filters and interesting that they are next to the Rage Video Chip. This would indicate without exact proof that the chip is damaged. Even if it weren't, it would take another identical board to identify these caps. Surface mounted caps are easy to buy. The markings on these are burned away, so much for that. If they're replaced and toast again, of course change the board. Maybe a good idea to check your monitor and it's wiring for problems, although, I'd think it's the board's fault.

Best I can do at this point. Keep me posted. Finge
jxm28788
Occasional Advisor

All of those componants on the board look identical (ie. same markings) so could probably assume that they are the same - maybe I'll get some from maplins when I get some time.

Any ideas where to get a replacement board though? I have no supplier or contracts with HP - I purchased this server 2nd hand.