ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752557 Members
4135 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 External SCSI DAT72 SmartArray 6i

Patrick J Beard

DL380 External SCSI DAT72 SmartArray 6i

Hi I'm putting together a DL380 for a customer.

I am trying to get a external SCSI StorageWorks DAT72 to be recognised when connected to the rear SCSI connector on the 6i. So far everything I've tried has not worked.
The controller is in 'Simplex' mode. If I F8 just after 'initializing Array' then I have an option the set OBDR. If I set this option then the DAT72 does go into OBDR mode (lights flashing on front).
However if I just let the system boot then after the arrays are initialised, there is no mention of the tape device and Windows 2003 doesn't see it and TapeTools can't find it either.

I plugged in an old SureStore DAT40 in place of the DAT72 and that worked ok. Windows and TapeTools both found it.

Has anyone any ideas?

--
Patrick
9 REPLIES 9
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

Boths DATs are SCSI, the only diference is capacity, check and change IDs, try putting same Id of the old DAT in new one. good luck
Patrick J Beard

Thanks for the reply.

I put them on the same ID both set to 3. Used the same cable for both drives. Even tried the terminator from the old Dat40 on the new Dat72.

I think I may have a broken Dat72. I've emailed support - I'll wait to see what they say.
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

sorry, if you put more than one scsi device you need to put in different IDs, in case of tape drives you need to put SCSI ID 6, then 5, 4, etc, i said that replace old DAT, put only the new one with the same ID and check. by the way, check the scsi connector, maybe two has folded in the new one.
Patrick J Beard

Hi,

I never had the two Dats connected at the same time.

When The old Dat worked, I disconnected it and then connected the new Dat72.
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

do you have DAT72 manual? do you check if you need to change other item plus the ID??, if it no appears in the manual your DAT is broken and need to change it.
Patrick J Beard

Thanks Carlos.

I'm waiting for HP to respond to my support email.

Thanks again.
hp hp

Hi Patrik
reading the manual of the DAT
it said, dont connect the DAT to storage controller, use dedicated SCSI controller instead.

regds
Patrick J Beard

Thanks for your reply.

If I read the following link correctly it say that the DL380 G4 does support an external drive.
http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ISS/Detail/16-0015-0059.html

From that link.

"The HP ProLiant DL380 G4 has a suitable embedded SCSI channel for use with External and Hot-Plug tape drives only. If this channel is not available or an internal HP StorageWorks DAT 72 is to be connected please use one of the following compatible HBAs: ..."

HP support eventually agreed that it should work but still recommended a seperate controller.
Myzika Alex

It's so interesting for me, what HP Support will say on Patrick's last message, becouse I have this problem too.