1748035 Members
4668 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G2 and RILOE II Firmware issue

Scott S.
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G2 and RILOE II Firmware issue

I recently upgraded the RILOE II Firmware from 1.01 to 1.21 and the driver in Windows 2000. I have restarted the server nummerous times and my HPIM still sends messages that the "Remote Insight/ Integrated Lights-Out Interface Error. The host OS has detected an error in the Remote Insight/ Integrated Lights-Out interface. The firmware is not responding"

According to the Systems Management Page, the management processor is fine. I can access the web interface for it as well with no issue. It's just that the host keeps sending this alert that the OS (Windows 2000 SP4) can't see it.

Any idea how to fix this? Does the Managment Agent for servers need to be updated as well? It's running Compaq Management Agents version 6.0.0.0.
10 REPLIES 10
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

You may be able to correct the issue by launching the System Management Homepage. Select Management Processor. Select Remote Insight. From Remote Insight scroll to the bottom. Click the Reset Remote Insight button. Click the OK button.
Scott S.
Occasional Advisor

I had tried that previously to no avail. I've also tried reapplying the Windows driver, removing it from the Active Management Agents list and restarting those services.

No matter what I do, the OS keeps reporting "firmware not responding".

I wish I had never upgraded the firmware at this point if HPIM keeps saying the OS can't communicate with it.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

In that case I wish I had a better suggestion than make a backup and then install the latest compatible version of the PSP (ProLiant Support Pack). It appears that v7.60 was the last supported for Windows 2000 Server.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24183.html
Scott S.
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran the updater and it went through everything, but HPIM is still reporting the same thing.

The Compaq Management Agents control panel still lists 6.0.0.0, but I can't find an update for that.

Even if I tell it to not monitor this, HPIM still reports from the OS level.

Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Will you please login to your RILOE-II and select the Administration tab -> and then the SNMP Settings link?

Do you have an SNMP Trap Destination configured, or have anything besides the default SNMP Pass-Through Status set to enabled/yes?
Scott S.
Occasional Advisor

SNMP Trap Destination is the HPIM server.

Forward Host OS Generated SNMP Traps is set to No.

Send HP Remote Insight Board SNMP Traps is set to No.

SNMP Pass-through Status is Enabled.

The other servers I checked have Forward Host and Send Traps set to Yes.

Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I've never entered anything in the RILOE-II SNMP configuration. All my settings are default. I'm not sure how much value it provided, and it seemed redundant for the other monitoring already in place. With that said, have you considered removing the trap destination, or does it provide real value in your environment?
Scott S.
Occasional Advisor

I removed the SNMP Trap info and HPIM still reports the OS doesn't see it responding every 30-45 minutes.

Not that familiar with HP servers so I'm not sure where else to check.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

This RILOE-II driver addresses an issue with RILOE-II firmare v1.20 (and I assume greater). Is this the version you presently have installed?

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23411.html