DL380 G3 backup recover on Raid1

tony_205

DL380 G3 backup recover on Raid1

Hi

DL380 G3 with 4 x 72Gb HD with

Array A Raid1 = Partition C and D on slot 0&1
Array B Raid1 = Partition F on slot 2&3

I want to rebuild the server so can I do this:

1. Take out HD of slot 1 as my backup since it contains partition C&D which is my OS and Apps so slot 1 is empty.

2. Take out the HD in slot 3 so its empty

3. Turn off server

4. Put in the HD from slot 3 into slot 1

5. Put in W2k CD and turn on to install W2k on slot 0&1..so now only slot 0,1, and 2 is populated

6. If all is good, great but if bad, then for backup recovery - shutdown and put back the old backup HD from into slot 0 while keeping slot 2 populated and boot up with F2(interim recovery)

Will this work?
3 REPLIES 3
Srinath R
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL380 G3 backup recover on Raid1

Hi Tony,
Looking at the scenerio that you have mentioned,rebuilding of the server with not be possible in the manner you have mentioned. The moment you swap the drives from slot 1 to slot 3 and slot 3 to slot 1 the rebuilding of the mirrored data will start as you have configured raid 1. But if u restart the server with the OS CD, in this case u can do a fresh installation of the OS as the server will boot through the OS CD.

Hope i have answered your question?

Srinath
tony_205

It should not start re-mirroring because on bootup, bios will look to cd first to boot which will install the OS on slot 0 and 1.

Again to point out, Slot 1 is the old HD from slot 3.

Bootup from bios should start first before remirroring so I believe it still would work but want to make sure.
Srinath R
Occasional Advisor

Hi Tony,
the moment the server restarts it will start rebuilding from Disk 1 but later if you again try fixing the spare disk removing disk 0 it will not rebuild as the spare disk does not have the parity information.

Srinath