1753561 Members
5942 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 Second Controller installation

DCobb
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G4 Second Controller installation

I have DL380 G4 I'm using the internal Smart Arrat 6i for the main controller. I need to install a second controller card Smart array 641/642 to allow me to externally connect my HP LTO autoloader.
1. Can it done?
2. Is there anything special I need to do when I install this card.
5 REPLIES 5
Harry Lubansky
Super Advisor

One hates to be obvious, but following the installation instructions should be enough with this card. Driver installation prior to loading the card will allow the bios to pick it up on startup. Tape drive drivers for the HP LTO should could with the unit for windows. Finally, you have the backup software that needs to identify the LTO as well. The two array controllers should be unique enough, as long as their SCSI info is unique or set to be unique.
DCobb
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the reply. Two things I discovered upon attempeting the installation of the card.
1. The server is currently configured as "Embedded Simplex SCSI". I'm assuming that when I install this card I will have to change the configuration to Mixed Duplex SCSI correct? If not, what is the proper configuration?
The card instrutions do not address this issue.
2. It appears I need a cable kit as well. My HP supplier did not let me know it was necessary. I have this coming now.

Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Converting a DL380 G4 SCSI backplane from simplex to duplex requires that a SCSI terminator board be attached to rear of the SCSI backplane.
Iain McCracken
Frequent Advisor

you dont need to put in an array contrler to connect to the tape drive just a scsi card The dl380 has an external scsi connection at the back below the Pci slots which you could use as a connection
DCobb
Occasional Contributor

The external SCSI port on the DL380 G4 is the wrong type for my HP LTO Autoloader. It's smaller than the cable connection from the tape drive. The autoloader uses a LVDS conection. Is there an adapter for my calbe to fit the SCSI port in the DL380?
Is the external SCSI ports compatiable with this connection?