ProLiant Servers - Netservers

DL380, SAS drives

CA1248225
Advisor

DL380, SAS drives

Hi,

We had previously used the DL380 G4 with SCSI drives, beleiving it to be a better performing solution than SAS drives.

The latest ConfigureAIDER appears to suggest the DL380 G5 only supports SAS drives.

The introduction of dual core processors is surely a step up, I was wondering if anyone could comment on hard drive performance?
3 REPLIES 3
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL380, SAS drives

Joshua,

I can only comment based on the research I've done when comparing SATA, SAS and SCSI options. First, HP intends to replace all parallel SCSI (U320) offerings with SAS in the very near future, so they seem very committed to the technology.

From a performance standpoint the transfer rate for SAS is supposed to be 3Gb/sec and eventually going to 6Gb/sec compared to parallel SCSI at 320Mb/sec. HP offers SAS drives in 2" small form factor (SFF) with 36 and 72GB capacities and 10K RPM, as well as 3" with 36, 72 or 146GB capacities and 15K rpm.

I'd love to see the SFF drives in larger capacities and with a 15K rotation rate, but I'm sure they'll be coming.

Scott
CA1248225
Advisor

Thanks for that.

The 15K speed is something we'd definitely be interested in, all our current servers use 15K SCSI drives.

It's good to see there are upsides to the technology however.
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Joshua,

There were some additional benefits with SAS that I didn't cover (see below) and I discovered that the current roadmap shows SAS evolving to provide 12Gb/s and beyond.

Here's a link to HP's site containing a number of documents describing Serial Technology:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/serial/resources.html

Scott