ProLiant Servers - Netservers

DL380 memory config issue upon bootup

Phil Gillett

DL380 memory config issue upon bootup

We are using an HP DL380 G4. We are trying to populate all 6 DIMM memory slots each with a:
Crucial 2Gb, DDR2, 533, CL4, ECC, REG (2GB 240) DIMM

I have populated Slots 1 and 2, power on the server, and the server registers the memory with no problem. I power off, populate Slots 3 and 4, power on again, and the server has no problem registering the next set of DIMMs. I power off, and add the last 2 DIMMs in Slots 5 and 6, power on, and the server won't boot, the memory warning (error) LEDs stay on, a long, audible noise is emitted, and the front panel, top LED light on the right turns red (looks like a box with a heart monitor line in it).
I power off the server, take out the last 2 DIMMs in Slots 5 and 6, and power back on with no problems. I power off, take out the DIMMs in Slots 3 and 4, power on, and let it reconfigure. I power off, populate Slots 3 and 4 with the 2 DIMMs that appeared to be a problem, power on, and the server recognizes the DIMMs with no problems.
It appears that the DL380 doesn't want to all 6 slots populated with 2 Gb DIMMs, even though the DL380 can allow up to 12 Gb max of memory.
We can do what we want to do with 8 Gb (Slots 1, 2, 3, and 4 populated with each 2 Gb DIMMs), but would like to fully populate all slots to make 12 Gb.
Anyone have any clues as to why this is happening or how to reconfigure?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
6 REPLIES 6
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Re: DL380 memory config issue upon bootup

Tried updating the DL380 G4's BIOS?
Phil Gillett

We have the latest BIOS - P51 4/26/2006 - which came on the server when ordered. The following is a confirmation to what HP has as the latest -
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24647.html

As mentioned before, all the DIMMs were tested and are working fine. It's only when the last 2 DIMMs are put in Slots 5 and 6 is when things don't want to work.

Any other suggestions? Anyone? Bueller? :-)
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

Hi, read in this web page "Standard Memory Replaced with Optional Memory":
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12028_div/12028_div.HTML
In the online spare configuration, the ROM automatically configures the last populated bank as the spare memory. If only banks A and B are populated, bank B is the spare bank. If banks A, B, and C are populated, bank C is the spare bank, Online spare memory is configured through RBSU.
Hope this helps...
Richard m

I have the same problem now. Im trying to get 4x512MB and 2x1024MB into the machine, but same problem. It always says something about memory missmatch. i have turned off the spare settings in the bios. I hope somebody can help me with this.
Virtua

I recently came across this problem and after talking to HP techs and also did a bit of research, it seems that DL380 only capable of supporting upto 8 ranks when you populate all 6 dimms.

This means you would need to install either
1. 2 x Dual Rank and 4 x Single Rank RAM
OR
2. 6 x Signle Rank RAM

From what I read from http://www.tyan.com/support/html/memory_faq.html it seems that Single-sided memory modules are always Single-Rank. Double-sided unbuffered DIMMS and SODIMMS are always Dual-Rank. Hope that helps
Daniel Valdes

Here is why you have this issue. HP ProLiant DL380 G4 supports dual rank modules with HP Firmware 4.02 or higher. You must install the new firmware before you install dual rank memory modules. You can find this ROMPaq at http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/8696.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Also, the HP ProLiant DL380 G4 can only address 8 memory ranks. This means if you are using dual rank kits, and each memory module is 2 ranks you can only use 4 of the 6 banks available on the server. The other 2 banks must be left empty. For instance, if you install a dual rank 4GB (2x2GB) kit you can only see a maximum of 8GB.