1752438 Members
5694 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL580 G1 and Windows 2003

voodookid
Occasional Contributor

DL580 G1 and Windows 2003

I am stuck installing windows 2003 on a Compaq Dl580 G1. I have run the Erase utility, upgraded all of the firmware including the BIOS so it will support Windows 2003, Run Smart Start 5.5, installed the System Partition. When I get to the point where I am trying to boot from the Windows 2003 CD it just sits there with a black screen and a blinking cursor. Google has not been too fruitful, though it did help with everything up to this point. Does anyone have any ideas I can try to get it to boot off of the CD? I have set the install to Windows 2000 Advanced so it sets the resources correctly.
8 REPLIES 8
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

I suggest you try a later smartstart CD. I seem to remember using 5.5 to install my first Windows 2000 server so i don't know that it supports 2003.

Smartstart 7.7 is listed for your server and should be available here:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26397.html

voodookid
Occasional Contributor

I have read elsewhere that 5.5 is the last one to work with the G1s, but I willing to try anything. I am tearing my hair out on this.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

According to this document, SmartStart v5.5 is the last version supported on the DL580 G1:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/cd_supportinfo/ServerSupportMatrix.pdf

You may have to perform a manual installation of Windows Server 2003. Download your MSD (Mass Storage Device) support pack, and extract it to a floppy. Press the F6 key when prompted early by the Windows installation, and insert the floppy with the MSD driver. Good luck!
voodookid
Occasional Contributor

That is the thing. I am doing a manual installation and I cannot get the windows installation to start. Just sits there.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Sorry, I missed that point in your original question.

Try removing non-essential components to build the server. If you have multiple array controllers, leave only one. If you have multiple NIC's installed, remove all but one.

If that doesn't work, you may want to consider disabling devices from the 'BIOS' / system utility, such as the parallel port, serial ports, etcetera. Perhaps freeing up some IRQ's will get the OS installing. As you can see, early implementations of ACPI left much to be desired.
CA1502247

I had the same issue. Solved with another Windows CD.
voodookid
Occasional Contributor

I tried disabling various thing like the serial port, the parallel port, anything to get it to boo the cd. Only once did anything happen and NT detect failed so I had to reboot. I have used a known good copy of Windows 2k3, tried a couple of different disks, nada. Linux will boot on it and Windows 2000 Advanced server will boot it but then complains about no hard drives found. Thanks for trying to help btw.
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

I'd also try another smartstart CD.

If smartstart 5.5 is the latest supported on your platform, why does 7.8 come up in the downloads section for your server.

It's not going to hurt trying it...