ProLiant Servers - Netservers

Debian Sarge on Compaq Proliant 1850R with PCI video card

Trey Perrin

Debian Sarge on Compaq Proliant 1850R with PCI video card

All,

I have several old Compaq Proliant 1850R servers that have add-on Matrox PCI video cards. Sarge installs with no problems, but the servers completely lock up (power cycle required) when attempting to start X. If I remove the PCI video cards, X starts, but the on board ATI video card can only display at 640x480. I have tried other PCI video cards (S3), all with the same result. Also, if I press the Caps Lock, Num Lock, keypad buttons, etc. the server totally locks up. Has anyone else run into this problem before?

Trey
1 REPLY 1
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Debian Sarge on Compaq Proliant 1850R with PCI video card

I'm sure this is going to be a stupid question since most people that can load and configure Linux are smarter than your average turnip {grin}, but have you double-checked the BIOS settings when you have your PCI video card plugged in?

This sounds way too basic, but it almost seems as if X-11 is getting confused on which display to use, which could very easily be due to the onboard video not being disabled when the add-on PCI cards are installed.

I wish I had enough experience with Debian to give you specific things to try beyond that, but my background is more in the FC and RH arena and with FC, I have had little to no problems with X-11 that I didn't cause myself.

But those are other stories...

Good luck to you and be sure to let us know the solution when it is found!
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855