5860 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Debian packages for system management drivers and programs

CA1143862
Occasional Contributor

Debian packages for system management drivers and programs

Dear HP team!

We are using nothing else than Debian Woody on our DL360 G3 servers. Unfortunately HP is not supplying any Debian packages for the system monitoring etc... tools. When I see the amount of HP people working at the Debian project I can't explain.

So we (I think I am not alone :) ask you sincerly to create Debian packages and support Debian distributions (at least Woody).

Thanks!

Bernhard Roth
8 REPLIES 8
Gerhard Zweimueller

I can only support Bernhard's request. We are using DL360 and Debian to run our VoIP solution.

Please, HP, provide the Debian community with packages of the Linux system managament.

Best regards,
Gerhard Zweimueller

David Ulevitch

I will "third" this request!

We use debian across our network and we are looking to only purchase compaq servers in the future. We would really like (even unofficially) for compaq to provide the required packages for debian.

Hacking the RPMs is a major pain and annoyance.

We know you use Debian on the inside...just hook it up? :)

thanks,
davidu
Piotr Dziubanii
Occasional Advisor

you can port hpasm from rpm using alien utility
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/supportsoftware/linux/
H├еkan Lindqvist
Occasional Advisor

I will "fourth" the request!
Paul Tietjens

I'd vote for that myself. On our 13+ servers we use nothing but Debian. Debian has got to be gaining on Redhat if not surpassing it in popularity at this point. Even the Redhat admins I know like using APT.

Using alien to translate these packages seems to work, but in the end all kinds of things are a little broken.

I'm surprised we have to ask for Debian support.
BR109943

You are not alone!
We have 10+ HP proliant DL380 G3 with Debian. I join to your appeal to HP for supplying any Debian packages for the system monitoring and the other tools.

Best regards,
Paolo Giorgio and Cristian Manfredini
CA1262617

I have several DL380's, DL320's which run debian. We considered RedHat Enterprise, but once we factored in the recurring costs required to do so (relicensing), quickly decided that we were going to exceed our price points. We can either buy HP servers, and count on some debian support, or we can by cheaper servers and put RedHat Enterprise on them but not both. I would definately appreciate greater support for Debian systems. I understand that certain vendors may not want easy interoperability with other version of the linux os, but let's remember that RedHat Enterprise/Suse and Debian are built using the same components. Porting of those packages should be based on greater portability, and not on vendor lock in.
CA1007657

Absolutely I agree -- we use Debian on DL380, and it works wonderfully, though it would be nice to have the monitoring tools, etc.

Interestingly, a HP linux support guy I once talked to was a Debian fan as well, but advised me to lie to support in future and tell them I was on Red Hat so as to avoid getting a runaround.

let's get Debian supported -- you'll gain not only Debian but Ubuntu and all the rest to boot!