New Discussion юеВ

Re: Drivers for B120i for RHEL 7.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
fredo1664
Advisor

Drivers for B120i for RHEL 7.5

Hello.

I don't think the driver for the B120i controller has been released for the new RHEL 7.5 ? This prevents me from upgrading from 7.4 to 7.5

It took very long to get a driver for 7.4: https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Drivers-for-B120i-for-RHEL-7-4/td-p/6972868

Thanks

Frederic Bousquet

28 REPLIES 28
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please check if your server supports RHEL 7.5, then check if the Latest SPP has any drivers for B120i.

Also do check Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 Supplement for Service Pack for ProLiant 2018.03.0 Release Notes
https://downloads.hpe.com/pub/softlib2/software1/doc/p465640610/v152290/RHEL_7.5_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

fredo1664
Advisor

Hi Suman_1978,

Thank you but this didn't help.

The server is a Microserver Gen8. The way I understand the link you posted, RHEL 7 is supported for this server. I also understood that there won't be full SPP for the gen8 anymore, but some updates to keep them compatible with all new releases of the supported OS.

The latest download for the gen8 is still for RHEL 7.4 : http://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/spp-gen8/RHEL/

The driver is not in the Supplement for Service Pack you linked.

Exactly like for 7.4 in the thread I linked, I'd like to know when a driver for the b120i will be available for RHEL 7.5, if ever?

Thanks.

Regards,

Fr├йd├йric

K_Mu
Occasional Advisor

I would also be very interested to know if HPE will release another driver for RHEL 7.5 (and also future updates). Once again I can't patch vulnerabilities in the kernel.

The last two updates took a long time. I would hate to wait several weeks when it is already clear that there will be no driver at all. Then I'd rather buy new hardware by now. Whether this will be HPE again depends strongly on the processing of this request.

Thank you in advance for your prompt answer.

fredo1664
Advisor

Hello,

Does anyone at HPE know if this driver is going to be released? If HPE is no longer interested in maintaining it, could it be made open source? I have a feeling this problem will repeat every time RHEL releases a new version. @Suman_1978, please, could someone at HPE help us?

Thanks

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@fredo1664 wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone at HPE know if this driver is going to be released? If HPE is no longer interested in maintaining it, could it be made open source? I have a feeling this problem will repeat every time RHEL releases a new version. @Suman_1978, please, could someone at HPE help us?

Thanks

Yes, there will be a driver release for 7.5,  I don't have an exact date. I've been told the driver is going though QA testing now, barring any issues the release should be soon. Unfortunately there are some parts of the code that can never be made open source.  Yes,  waiting for the updated driver has been a normal process at every release cycle. For this reason many choose just to use the RAID functions built into the Linux OS.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
fredo1664
Advisor

Thank you @Jimmy Vance, it's good to know that the driver will eventually be released. Unfortunately, there is a problem quite notorious in the community: for some reason the fan in the Microserver Gen8 gets too loud when the proprietary driver is not used, and I have never managed to find a workaround. I would love to use the RAID functions of the linux kernel instead of this driver!

fredo1664
Advisor

Two months later and still no driver available for RHEL 7.5 :-(

fredo1664
Advisor

andrea_daru
Visitor

Is there a way to supply the RPM package to the installer to le recognize the b120i controller?

I've tried providing the installer with

linux modprobe.blacklist=ahci inst.dd

and then searching for the RPM in USB drive named (for convention) OEMDRV.

It seems that the installer only search fo *.iso files... I've tried to rename the rpm to iso but obviously it doesn't work.

Any help will be appreciated! I'm getting crazy!