1753778 Members
7900 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Dual NIC's in LH4

CA744641
Occasional Contributor

Dual NIC's in LH4

I just added a second PCI Network card in an LH4 running NT4.0 Server. I installed the NIC driver, gave it the IP Information and it appears to work with relatively no pain. I can ping either IP Address from a workstation. I have both cards plugged into a switch. Is there anything else I need to do to this configuration and how can I tell if performance is increased across the network and who is actually using which NIC?
3 REPLIES 3
CA719043
Valued Contributor

Re: Dual NIC's in LH4

It sounds like what you want to do is use the second nic to take some load off of the first nic. However, you did not mention anything about setting up the adapter team. If you do want to do load balancing to get more bandwidth, you???ll have to set up ALB (adapter load balancing) or FEC (fast ether channel). This is done through the HP Set (or Intel Set) in the control panel. If you do not have HP Set in the control panel, then update your drivers to the ones located here:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/servers/software/drv_nt4_itnic_54017.exe.html

After the team is set up, you can then use HP Set to see the use of the card (packets sent and received, etc).
When your looking for performance increase, keep in mind that if you want to see balancing both to and from server, you can only get that with FEC. FEC requires a FEC compatible switch. If you do not have a compatible switch, then you can still use ALB, but the bandwith is only increased going from the server.
There's always room for J-E-L-L-O
CA744641
Occasional Contributor

Chris: Yes, that's exactly what I want to do, balance the network load. I do have the HP Set icon in control panel, but when I try to create a team, it tells me it's not supported under this version of Windows Terminal Server. I'm running regular NT4 with SP6. The second NIC is a 3COM, must it be an HP to create a team? Is having a second NIC really doing nothing for me at this time? The first NIC is an H P that came with the LH4
CA719043
Valued Contributor

HP Set will only team the Netserver 10/100 tx, or the Intel Pro 100 adapters (HP card is based on the Intel card). You will be unable to team a 3com card with an HP card with HP Set.
Not to say that the other nic is doing nothing for you, but if you have the two on the same network, then on of them is probably not being utilized.
If you want to team, I recommend the HP card in your server for supportability. The p/n is D5013B and can be ordered from HP directly by calling 800-227-8164 or online at www.buy.hp.com.
There's always room for J-E-L-L-O