108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

E50 server - added hard disk capacity

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rene Zwart
Occasional Contributor

E50 server - added hard disk capacity

I understand that the E50 server does not support IDE hard disks and further that the only way to increase capacity is the addition/replacement with higher capacity SCSI drives. However, could I fit a USB2 board and connect some external hard disks? This would seem a cost-effective expansion. Or is there a way to fit an IDE disk after all? Appreciate your input, many thanks! Rene.
4 REPLIES 4
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Re: E50 server - added hard disk capacity

Hi Rene,

I'm afraid I can't help you with the USB or IDE as this server does not support either one, but what I can tell you is that this server supports up to 5 common-tray hard drives and if you're running on a NetRAID Controller, you can expand the array to incorportate the space of the new drive. You can also migrate from RAID-1 to RAID-5 if that was your plan. In a Windows environment, most of the NetRAID Controllers use NetRAID Assistant to do all that. In NetWare and Linux/SCO, the utility is called MegaManager (Megamgr).

Check out Paramount Computers for a list of parts that they have available for this model. Here's the link:
http://www.pmount.com/options_choi.asp?gc=15&choi=20&tt=E50%20OPTIONS

Hope this is helpful,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor
Solution

Sorry,

I just confirmed that the server does support IDE drives but only these two:
D2678A - 2.5GB - Ultra ATA/33
D2677A - 4.3GB - Ultra ATA/33
Others may work but I can not say for certain. I imagine the BIOS is limited in the size of IDE drives it can accept.

Good luck,

Rene Zwart
Occasional Contributor

Sean, many thanks for that. Just to be clear, there's no way to add a PCI board with USB connection to the server?
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

No, that's not true. A PCI USB card may work fine, it's just not supported by HP and I haven't tried it personally. Give it a shot and see what happens.