5381 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EISA Configuration Partition

Mossy
Occasional Contributor

EISA Configuration Partition

I have two Netserver LH3000.

One Server contains a HP_UTILITY PARTION contain EISA utilities, which is hidden from the 2000 Operating System.

I have somehow deleted this from the second server, as a result I am having problems restoring windows 2000. Is it possible to reinstall the EISA partition which is hidden from the Windows 2000 partiton.

I have attached a screen dump of the current configuation.

Cheers

Mossy
3 REPLIES 3
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Mossy,

this EISA/hidden partition is created by the Netserver Navigator cd.

Their is no real need to have it in order to be able to restore your w2k OS, can you explain more what the restore problem is about ?

If the partition gets deleted and you restore the OS, then the boot.ini file should just be deited and point to one partition number lower.

HTH

Kris
Mossy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for replying

I need to restore a Windows 2000 server to the second server.

The boot.ini on the first server is as follows

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT40

When I install Windows 2000 on the new server it creates the following boot.ini

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT40

and will not boot up. I think the problem is that it needs the hidden EISA partition.

I would be grateful for any help you could provide

Cheers

Mossy
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Mossy,

if you fresh install w2k on the second server that has no EISA partition on it, then the second boot.ini you provided is correct since it points to the first partition. Are you saying this does not boot then ? what is the error message you get ?

If this does not boot, then their is something else wrong, this has nothing to do with the EISA partition not being their.
Servers can run without this, it was just for support/diagnostic purposes really at the time when this was used.

If you do want to keep the servers identical, then create the EISA partition with the Netserver navigator cd first before you do the w2k install on the second server.

Kris