Re: Expand Partition/DISKPART

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1317752
Occasional Advisor

Expand Partition/DISKPART

Hi

I have an HP Proliant DL380 (Windows 2003 server). I recently added a hot
spare drive to my existing ArrayB (Raid5 logical D:\ drive) and expanded the array and extended the logical drive. This has now given me an extra 136Gb directly behind my existing data partition (D:\ 270Gb) in Device Management view.
Ideally I want to extend the D:\ and use this space rather than create a new partition next to it. Has anybody had a similar experience and used DISKPART (existing D:\ partition is basic with NTFS) тАУ I have come across forums whereby people have experienced problems with this tool whereby the extra space has been added in Disk Management but not in Windows Explorer and I'm a bit dubious about using it тАУ I realise that this need to be done in Safe Mode and I need a
full backup but the process does seem to worry me somewhat.

Also have a few basic questions:

1. The space is currently behind the D:\ as unallocated тАУ I presume that
this doesnтАЩt need to be formatted as DISKPART will do this bit.
2. I presume that there is no size limitations with this process тАУ i.e.
adding 136 to 270Gb?
3. Up until now The Windows 2003 server has not been service packed (as was the case when I added the spare drive to the array) тАУ I donтАЩt particularly want to update the
operating system at this point now that half way through the process??

Any help would be much appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Paul:

Diskpart should work just fine. Windows 2003 has it's own version of diskpart so you should be able to just run it from a command prompt.

1. Yes, the system will handle formatting the new space automatically when you extend with diskpart.

2. Adding 136GB should be no problem

3. I would wait until after you extend the disk and confirm that it is usable and working properly... and after a reboot to make sure it comes back up properly.

Usage of diskpart does not require the server to be taken offline (or to be in safemode), but you do want to stop i/o to the disk your expanding or perform the task during a slow period. The process takes about 3 to 4 seconds. Having a backup is always good.

run diskpart...

list volume
select volume <#>
extend

...are the commands that you should need.
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
CA1317752
Occasional Advisor

Cheers Steven - much appreciated!

I plan to do this over a weekend with no users accessing the server anyway but I'm wondering if there is any other reason that MS recomend putting it in Safe Mode! I may just be over pracautionary and follow there guidlines!

Cheers.

Paul
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The only reason I can think of is so that the server releases all connections to any files and/or shares so that there are no issues with users, but I have done this online without issue. The drive DOES go offline momentarily so that EoD pointers can change, but we are talking like.... a second or 2 at most. The process takes all of about 3 seconds to complete. I tested with a 400GB LUN increasing to 1TB, took 3 seconds.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
CA1317752
Occasional Advisor

Booted in safe mode and diskpart worked a treat - cheers! Im just wondering now we have utilised the hotspare is it worth just biting the bullet and purchasing a replacment disk now to keep in our server room rather than ring HP when/if a disk fails.

The hot-spare was originally assigned to ArrayB (D:\ - Raid5). Not entirely sure of the mechanics but I presume that you can swap the failed disk with the new and start a rebuild?

Thanks in advanced!

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Paul:

Glad to hear things worked out well.

Though it is sometimes a good idea to keep "cold" spares lying around, it is an out-of-pocket expense vs. a swap from HP if you have a disk that fails. Though they will still swap the "failed" disk, it is an extra expense upfront. If your ok with that, then yea... sure... get some cold spares.

If a drive does fail, you just pull it out and slip the new one in. The array controller should automatically see the new drive and start rebuilding on it.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
CA1317752
Occasional Advisor

Thanks!

So basically with Raid5 one physical drive could go down and disk operations could continue until a replacment drive turned up from HP?

Man have you been a massive help - thank again !!!!