5049 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fedora 8 on DL380 G3 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
HazardTW

Fedora 8 on DL380 G3 ?

I was hoping to install Fedora 8 on a Proliant DL380 G3.
The server has only CD-ROM not DVD-ROM so I was trying to use the Fedora 8 Live-CD which boots and runs fine from the CD but it has a problem formatting the HDD's for installation.
The server has 6 HDD's that I setup RAID 5 config on, and I did set OS type to Linux.
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see that the live CD gave me the option to do a text install, only the GUI install.
I also could not find a smart start for Fedora, the closest thing I saw was one that said it was for Red Hat, I tried that but it must be linked to the wrong file for download because that smart start that I downloaded only gave Windows and Novell OS options.

If anyone could point me in the direction of some how-to's I would be grateful.

Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
stbr05
Solution

Re: Fedora 8 on DL380 G3 ?

I did the same misstake as you. The live-cd doesnt performa real installation, but copies itself to the disk. Try using the cd from http://fedoraunity.org/. i solved all problems, but one with these. I cant get the network to function. Seems to be some driver issue. The system reports link down och cable disconected.
HazardTW

Thank you, I did see those CD versions offered at that site but was not real excited about having to install and learn to use a download manager but I will go ahead and give it a shot.

I tried to use a feature on the live cd to install where it asks you the location of the package to install, and I chose to attempt to install over my network via HTTP install, and copied all the packages from the DVD to my web server in my network, it said it found packages in the location but then got hung in a cycle of where it wanted to test the media, it would not continue unless the media was tested but it would only test media in the CDROM :(
HazardTW

I didn't care for the jigdo method, instead I downloaded the small boot.iso and burned it to CD.

Then I copied the contents of the Fedora 8 DVD to a directory on my WAMP installation on my windows PC, used the boot.iso to boot up the DL380 and do an HTTP network install.

Once the DL380 was connected to my web server on my windows PC, it installed exactly as if I had the DVD in the DL380 itself.

Install went as fast as DVD as well, DL380 booted up and finalized install perfectly, now running yum update.

Thanks again for the advice on that LiveCD, maybe there is that info somewhere on Fedora website but I missed it and had no idea of the problems created trying to install from it.

I think they should not even have an install option from that stupid LiveCD!