1752567 Members
5514 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Few presales questions about Proliant microserver M54L

frogthroat
Occasional Visitor

Few presales questions about Proliant microserver M54L

These are small wonderings, nothing really important. So if you guys have more pressing questions here on the forum, answer those first. I am in no hurry and I will find out answers to these questions in time on my own, too. Consider this post as the lowest priority you have. I'm not a company either, just a home user who likes to play around with computers.

I am building a home network. For lulz. I thought I get one of them HP Proliant microserver G7 M54L 2GB 250GBHDD ones why not. Saw it really cheap so let's do it. The purpose is a file server. Plenty of media via Samba, and xbmc and MySQL to keep track of the media. That's about it. Using WOL to start it, SSH to access it and in some rare occasion VNC. I built a media center from Raspberry Pi in my bedroom and want to access the server from there. So I don't need to turn on the computer in the bedroom. RPi is much more quiet. And I can use it with a remote so no need for keyboard or mouse.

Network is done and RPi too, now just need a server. Well, need and need. I want a server. Need. No, want. No, I must have one. I already configured an old desktop for this, but I'm afraid its motherboard is on its last lap. It's very young, almost brand new... well, 7 year old computer. So I'm gonna let that old thing die with dignity and get a proper server instead. But couple of questions about this server:

1. This is a server, but it has a small processor and lots of desktop hardware. I keep my desktops turned off at night, but wanted to have this in the furthest corner and turned on at all times. This server can do that? As in, Proliant DL and ML series can be on 24/7 as servers should, desktops should be turned off every now and then. Where does this fall into? Can be on all the time, or should be turned off sometimes?

2. It has 1/0/0 warranty, so one year Parts Only. I had Proliant certificates about 10-years ago, when I was working with G1, G2 and the new G3 servers. G3 was just coming. But I'm afraid they have expired since. I have been building computers and networks pretty much my entire life (ok, since the early 90's) and this is now the first computer ever I am not buying as parts, but as pre-built. If something breaks down, even if it is the motherboard or processor, will I get the part under warranty and can change it myself, or is that going to void the warranty if I do it myself? (Hopefully it will not come to that. Not even planning on upgrading the memory, 2GB is enough for a simple file server. Only thing I am going to add on my own is to add an extra HDD for all the media.) I would build a system like this myself, but I found this server so cheap I don't find parts that cheap. So, is it going to cause any issues that I want to exchange any and all parts myself, should a hardware issue arise?

[ADDITION] There was a mention of SA P410 which is not supported on this device, but apparently would work. Adding this does not void the warranty? I understand the card and the server would have separate warranties and HP is not reponsible of any issues that might arise with these devices combined, unless it is faulty hardware. [/ADDITION]

3. [ANSWERED] Planning on installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I could only find RedHat drivers from the website. Would need Debian based drivers. Anyone knows if Ubuntu 12.04 LTS works on its own or do I need to search some drivers? I mainly need the network card for the gigabit network. I care not if the video has limitations or anything. Once it's set up I plan not to go anywhere near it physically. Ubuntu probably works out of the box anyways. Just thought I might ask if anyone has any experience already.

4. [ANSWERED] Are there any remote applications from HP for this particular server? Probably won't need them, but perhaps could check them out if they exist. You know, for science.

5. My location is in Germany, but I don't speak German. Does anyone know if I can get support in English from German support? If the situation in question 2 arises, that is. I doubt I need any support on any other case than if I have already determined it is a hardware issue and need to order a replacement part. And hopefully it will never come to that.

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) to ProLiant Servers - Netservers. -HP Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Not an officially supported OS on this platform, Ubuntu will run fine on the system. There isn't an AMD "fake" RAID driver for Ubuntu so if you want raid you will need to do it from within the OS. Another option is to add a "P" series Smart Array controller, not supported by HP; but I've had a P410 in one of these for a couple of years and it works fine.  For remote access you might look into the MicroServer Remote Access Card Kit 615095-B21 It is a web based interface that gives you a remote console to the server and remote access to control system power and a few other management tasks

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
frogthroat
Occasional Visitor

That takes care of questions 3 and 4. Thank you very much.

I doubt I need the remote access card, though. As long as the in-built NIC supports WOL I can always make a script for shutdown and reboot. And that's good enough for me. If it had some in-built possibility for remote access, I would have only used it for learning. I don't really have any real need for it. As it is just for home network it has been difficult enough to justify the expenses for my boss... erm... wife.

But that Smart Array card is a very good suggestion. I might need to look into that. Supported or not, as long as it works. The same with Ubuntu, as long as it works. I noticed I can get the SA for 129 euros and it supports RAID 5. I was planning on using JBOD since the server itself supports only RAID 1 and 0. (0 should not be called RAID anyway. Just AID.) But I think I need to get couple more 3TB disks and make a 6TB RAID 5. So I would have OS on 250GB disk and then 3x3TB disks on RAID 5. Perhaps I can jimmy rig a fifth disk in the optical drive space to get RAID 1 for OS. My old, dying computer has 250GB disk for OS and that's farely new disk, so I could use that. Thank you for this suggestion. Now I just need to convince my wife that we really, really need RAID on the system.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I don't have the links handy, but what I've seen others do is leave the internal controller attached to the internal drive bays. They then add a Smart Array controller and connect that to a carrier the fits in the 5 1/4 optical drive slot. The new carrier holds four 2.5" drives

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
frogthroat
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for the tip. Might be a better idea than jimmy rigging it and dismantling the cable assemblys to fit it...