New Discussion юеВ

Re: Finalize a WiFi Small Business Net

SOLVED
Go to solution
Perignon
Honored Contributor

Finalize a WiFi Small Business Net

Hello,

Could someone assist me in setting a WiFi "Home-net" or direct me to appropriate links providing advice on the subject?

1-Hardware.
a-Two 15 meters-distant computers. One of them (Athlon-64; 3.400+ ; XP/SP2 Home)is connected to internet through a USB/DSL modem (runs fine). The other is a P4; 2.4Ghz; Win98SE).
b-Each equiped with a USB/WLAN adapter (USB Key form). The connection between both adapters seems to work since they report each other "green" in the task bar.

2-Project.
a-Intensify the level of connectivity (reads relatively low sometimes).
b-Allow for client's access to internet through the "master" (XP) computer attached to ADSL.
c-Allow for Administrator's control over both computers.
d-Allow for sharing selected functions (EG: printers), services and files.

NOTES/GUESS:
-Reply in French and/or English accepted.
-Each computer are working fine individually.
-Preferably, the job should be done with the adapters described above.
-I understand that my problem probably lies with finding best synchronization-settings between computers but I couldn't find clear explanations on how to procede.

Thank you in advance.
Alain.

Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
7 REPLIES 7
CA893598
Honored Contributor

Alain,

Check the documentation that came with your wireless adapters for specific instructions on how to set them up in an "ad-hoc" or peer LAN. You need to establish a functional wireless network as the first step - you will most likely need to configure static-ip addressing - I would suggest 192.168.0.1 for the WinXP machine and 192.168.0.2 for the Win98 machine.

a) 15 metres should not be a problem - it is normal for signal strength to vary, ignore the low readings unless you lose the connection altogether.

b) You will need some internet connection sharing software to make this happen, I suggest Windows ICS - internet connection sharing - for no other reason than it ships free with most recent versions of Windows (=>98SE), and it works well. Check Windows help for details on how to set it up - this will turn your XP system into what is called a NAT (network address translation) box, that also provides DHCP & DNS services.

c) Administrator control of both systems may not be possible - Win98 is not particularly secure and anyone at the keyboard and do whatever they wish.

d) Make sure that when you configure networking, that Windows file & print sharing is enabled, that both systems are using the same workgroup name, and that the Windows firewall on the XP system is NOT enabled on the wireless adapter. Again - check Windows help for details.

c)

Perignon
Honored Contributor

Hi Ernest,

Thanks a lot for your sound reply. In particular I'll give a try to "Windows ICS".

A-FEEDBACK

At the moment, I came to the point where the 2 USB/WiFi adapters are reporting each other with a good quality signal under an "Ad'hoc" connection. Both Setup Utilities read : Same SSID - sAME 128 bits WEP-key - Net Authentification "Open" - Connection type "ESS". Country Frequency Standard "France" - Channel 11.

The interesting bit is that I've been obliged to disable XP automatic connection settings in order to run those (more advanced) of the USB adapter utility.

B-REMAINING PROBLEMS.

1-Ping has been running successfully from both posts (Master and Client)just once. I've restarted each computer for confirmation. Now Ping is working fine only from the "client" computer.

2-On the subject of access to Internet from the "client" computer...No success. Although "Master" is already connected, "Client" (explorer) is still claming for a connection to the DSL modem.

C-PLANNED FINALIZATION-APPROACH.

1-Remove "Norton Internet Security" from the "Client Computer" (could pose an obstacle but I don't like the idea of having one of my 2 computers without its current Antivirus).

2-Check the IPP addressing mode. I could have done something wrong. As I understand, there are 2 different areas. One for the "domestic" network (set manually as of your recommendations) and the "distant-computer" network (relating to my DSL connection). I guess the latter should be set for the automatic mode, at least for the server computer (I'm still wondering what to do for the client computer however, give a DSN address?)

If you've got additional ideas, you are welcome...

Alain.
CA893598
Honored Contributor
Solution

XP's automatic configuration settings default to an infrastructure mode wireless LAN, however I believe they can also be configured for adhoc. It doesn't really matter which you use.

If I understand correctly - you can ping from the 98SE system, but not from XP, and you have Norton Internet Security loaded on the 98SE system. NIS includes a firewall which is probably blocking the ping - I'm not familiar with NIS, but most firewall software allows you to "trust" a specific host - you will need to do that to make things work - you should be able to get the internet sharing up without it, but the file sharing won't.

When you set up ICS you need to make sure you share the correct interface which would be the one connected to the ADSL - also the 98SE system would need to be reconfigured for dynamic ip addressing, it will acquire all the details from the XP system.

On the XP system go to a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" - it should show you the ip details of your network interfaces, the wireless adapter should have 192.168.0.1, and the wired adapter should have ip, dns & gateway settings as supplied by your ISP.

On the 98 system go to the start/run and enter "winipcfg", select the wireless adapter from the pulldown and it should show it's ip as 192.168.0.2 and the DNS & gateway should be 192.168.0.1.

Perignon
Honored Contributor

Hi Ernest,

Done!

You were probaly right about NIS configuration. I gave it a larger span of flexibility.

No immediate success at that stage. So I've revisited the whole connection process for the "Master" computer (Server actually), then Bingo! Once finished, I was given the choice between storing that config on Memory cards or insert XP CD into any "client" computers running another version of Windows . So did I man. Then I selected "Install optional Windows components" where I could find the appropriate connection utility. Had to restart the computer. Once done, the config pannel was on the screen and voila...

IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Modem and Printer sharing requires that both be devices activated prior to proceding.

Thank you Ernest. I hope the points allotted to your replies have been correctly recorded. I let this thread open for a while. I need to test the system again with the 2 computers posted in different rooms/stores.

Alain.

CA893598
Honored Contributor

You're welcome Alain

When you put the computers in different rooms, you may see a drop in signal strength, depending on how far apart they are, and the type of material used in the construction of the separating walls.

As I indicated before a 15m separation should not cause any problems, however if you do have difficulty you can try building reflectors and mounting the USB adapter at the focal point - http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
Perignon
Honored Contributor

Ernest,

Interesting "do-it-yourself" item (bricolage in French). Correct assessment from your side. Signal has dropped a little bit (my "ancient" but modernized house is built with 90 cm think stone-walls). Tests (Internet and printer) still positive however.

I'll let you know if that net keeps working fine tomorrow. Anyway, I guess I could play with radio-channels and see which one is supporting the strongest signal.

Cheers,
Alain.
CA893598
Honored Contributor

90cm thick!!! and I thought my home had thick walls - mine are like 20 cms, with the average home here having 10cm thick walls.