ProLiant Servers - Netservers

Firmware Maintenance upgrade for DL580 G2 server

Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Firmware Maintenance upgrade for DL580 G2 server

I hope someone can help me on this problem. I have a HP DL580 G2 server running RedHat Linux AS3 update 9. I took the server down and installed the latest Firmware Maintenance CD 8.50. Basically I installed all firmware components.

I used the offline method to upgrade the DL580 G2 which required a reboot.Everything installed fine except for one componenant i.e. HP NC-Series Broadcom Online Firmware upgrade Utility for Linux i386.

At the end of the installation it displayed a"red square" to indicate the status i.e. update returned an error and to view the HP SUM log for details.

When I viewed the details of the installation log it reported the following message

"HP Smart update Manager Installation log. Installation started Tuesday Jul 7 17:07 2009.
Installing:CP010605.scexe
Version:2.1.8
Description: HP NC-Series Broadcom online firmware upgrade utility for Linux i386.
Return Code:7
Installation complete:Tuesday Jul 7 17:13".

I then proceeded to perform a fresh install to upgrade the server to RedHat Linux AS4 update 8.

When the RedHat Linux AS4 installation finished, I rebooted the server and then checked the NIC interface card with "ethtool eth0", the speed and duplex were both showing "unknown".

The effect of the unkown state mean I'm unabel to login to the server remotely.

Please note before upgrading the firmware the server was running on RedHat Linux AS3 and the NIC interface settings i.e. Speed 100Mbs and full duplex were fine but since I upgraded the firmware to V8.50 and OS to RedHat Linux AS4, the NIC interface is reporting the speed and duplex both as "unknown".

When I reboot the server reports eth0 interface as OK.

After going through the HP documentation it appears HP have dropped support for the firmware maintenance on version 8.50,8.40,8.30,8.20 and 8.10 of the firmware maintenance CD. The last supported firmware maintenance for the DL580 G2 is only available on V8.00 firmware maintenance CD.

As i've inadvertently have upgraded the DL580 G2 with the incorrect firmware maintenace version 8.50.

I need to know if can I downgrade the server using the older version of firmware maintenance CD V8.00?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
kkkp
Occasional Advisor

Re: Firmware Maintenance upgrade for DL580 G2 server

The latest firmware will affect the Smart Array/iLo/Network card of the DL580 G2 only. It seems that you use a NC7770 Network Card which require the reset the jumper on board before it can flash the bios.
You can go the BIOS by pressing the F9 and use the backup BIOS.