108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firmware upgrade of NetRAID controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Maung Han Soey

Firmware upgrade of NetRAID controller

Hi all including HP Engineers:

I have a HP NetRAID controller, model HP NetRAID-1si (part # D4992-60002 as mentioned on the paper label affixed in the card) and BIOS/ Firmware ver is A.03.00 Jun 10, 1997.

I badly need to upgrade this FW version to recognize the larger capacity HDD and Compaq HDD.

Regards
Maung
11 REPLIES 11
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Maung,

pls check here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=62470&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=51919&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54

Pls note not all disks are supported (i.e. older Compaq disks which you mentioned)

HTH

Kris
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Maung Han Soey

Hi Kris,

Thanks a lot for your kind help.

As you mentioned this is not 1si NetRAID controller hence I downloaded the fw from the below link that you given:

Maung,

pls note the A.03.00 f/w is not from the 1 Si but from the older classic Netraid controller

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=15688&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=62471&sw
Lang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54

HTH

Kris

And it has been upgraded from A.03.00 Jun 10, 1997 to A.04.03 Jul 29, 1999.

But unfortunately I am not able to enter into the NetRAID Express Tools to configure the logical volumes.

Once the key CTRL + M is pressed, it goes to the HP NetRAID Express Tools ver B.02.02 Sep 01, 1999 then the stuck, keyboard also hanged.

After scanning the hard disks and before entering into the Express Tools, it shows "Adapter BIOS is Disabled" and the next line tells to pressCTRL + M to Enable the BIOS. If CTRL + M is pressed for 2nd time, then it stuck (also keyboard) at that stage even does go into the Express Tools Menu.

Really appreciate if you could please help me to way out from this trouble again!

Thanking you a log again!

Regards
Maung Han Soey
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Maung,

not sure what is wrong here but i'd remove all disk and try to get into the Express Tools and see if it still hangs or not.

- If this does not help, try to flash the card back to another F/W revision maybe or reflash the same A.04.03 version, if still no luck, maybe this card has a hardware problem.

- If no hang in Express Tools anymore when all disks are removed,then, add one disk at a time and see as of when it hangs again because it can be a disk that causes the hang.

If the label on the card says D4992-60002 then this is a Netraid 1Si card. However the f/w version A.03.00 as far as i remember was not a F/W version for the 1Si but from the very first Netraid card HP sold at the time. Normally one should not be able to flash a incorrect FW on a card, but pls check.

The 1Si has one channel, the classic Netraid is a full lenght PCI card and has 3 channels on it.

Kris
Maung Han Soey

Kris,

Thanks again for your kind response.

Yes, I have tried to get into the Express Tools by removing all disks but still hangs.

Also reflashed the same version of FW e.g. A.04.03 still no changes found.

I have also tried with upgrading FW of 1si F.02.05, F.02.07 & F.02.09 respectively even though it is labeled with D4992-60002, but still the mismatched appeared e.g No valid image found or No adapter was flashed.

You are correct and I also beleive that the one you provided is correct otherwise it not supposed to be accepted for the upgrade.

The card has only one channel (inside) and seen another external connector.

Can you please let provide me if you still can recall the url link for A.03.00 so that I can roll back to previous version and try to see whether the Express Tools is working that time.

Thanks kris.

Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Maung,

You most definately have a NetRAID-1 Controller, not NetRAID-1si

The base part number of the D4992-60002 is D4992A and HP Partsurfer describes it like this:
NetRAID-1 one-channel disk array controller - PCI board with one internal 68 pin high density and one external 68 pin high density Ultra wide SCSI connector.

Which server are you using the controller in?

I would recommend reseating the card, trying it in a different slot and reseating the memory module. You might also think about stripping the server down to bare minimum; 1 stick of RAM, 1 CPU, no unnecessary PCI cards and no drives (floppy, CD, Tape Drive, etc).

I've seen situations where you need to clear the CMOS and load defaults or even flash the BIOS. Clearing the CMOS would likely be the quickest. There should be a dip switch or jumper on the system board and some servers let you do it from within the BIOS. After it's cleared, go back into the CMOS Setup and load default values.

If after all this, you haven't gotten any further, I'd say the card is no more good.

R.I.P. - It lived a long life.

Best of luck,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Oh Yeah,

I almost forgot. The second link that Kris sent you is the correct one. A.04.03 is the latest F/W for both the Classic NetRAID and the NetRAID-1. HP Designs their F/W upgrades so that you can't accidentally flash an invalid firmware to the device. Same goes for the server's BIOS.

If you really think it's a firmware issue, HP does not have any previous versions available for download. If you have a really old Netserver Navigator CD you might be able to find it there. Otherwise, all you can do is try to re-download the file and recreate the disk, then try re-flashing.

Good Luck,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
Maung Han Soey

Hi Sean T Craig,

Thanks a lor for your kind contribution for solvoing my solution. I will keep on trying as you advised and let you know.

thanks again.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hello Maung,

here is the A.03.00 F/W image, it's nearly 10 years old by now :-)

Unzip it and copy it on the floppy with which you did the A.04.03 upgrade and replace the A.04.03 firmware file with this megaraid.img file.

Kris