ProLiant Servers - Netservers

G4 U320 or G5 SAS?

Keith W
Frequent Advisor

G4 U320 or G5 SAS?

I am looking to buy some new servers (to be Windows 2003 DCs).

Last servers I bought were DL380 G4 with U320 drives.

However, my supplier now tells me that the G4 machines are being replaced by G5 and the G5's have SAS drives.

Now I have no experience of SAS drives (all my servers have U320).

So with that in mind, could someone please tell me what advantage/disadvantage buying G5 SAS over G4 U320 would give?

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7
Iain McCracken
Frequent Advisor

Re: G4 U320 or G5 SAS?

I would go with the SCSI drives the SAS drives dont use a smart controler and the smart contrler is one of the best things if not the best in a Proliant
Keith W
Frequent Advisor

The DL380 I have been looking at claims to have:

Smart Array P400/512 BBWC Controller (RAID 0/1/5/6)
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

I have seen a lot of hype about SAS but haven't really read into it.

I use DL360's for Windows 2003 DC's because a DC doesn't usually need a lot of hard drive space and isn't very disk intensive. This will save you some $$ and also rack space with 1RU servers. In Australia we can still buy DL360G4's with SCSI drives.

Have you thought of looking at blades? We were looking at a stack of DL360's & DL380's last year and found it was heaps cheaper to use blades with an MSA san than DL series servers. It depends on how many machines you are looking at replacing. I understand the break even point for Blades vs Rack mount servers is now 3 servers, so you should look into it. You could even get them with internal hard drives until you need to look at a base SAN.

FYI - I don't work for HP, I'm just advising on my experience with Blades. We've got quite a few now and 2 SAN's and haven't looked back since.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I can't speak to long term reliability of SAS drives, but I'm using both DL380 G4's with the SA-6i and DL380 G5's with the SA-P400, and the performance difference is negligible.
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Thinking more about it, HP wouldn't blanketly replace the best SCSI Raid controller/drive combination available with something that wasn't up to the task. I think we all just don't know enough about it. I would never run SATA in a server (except development servers) but if they have moved away from SCSI to SAS, it must be fine. At the end of the day you don't have a choice now, and it's supported by HP so you'll get support on issues.
Keith W
Frequent Advisor

Thanks everyone

I am going to be cautious and go with the G4 U320's for now as my supplier says they are still available.

I will go SAS (probably no choice by then) next budget year when we have 4 more servers to buy.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

That's a safe choice, and in a year when you're ready to make the next purchase, most of the bugs (if any) should have been worked out.