ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1748170 Members
4182 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Gen8 Microserver - HDD drive setup and ESXi?

bob808

Gen8 Microserver - HDD drive setup and ESXi?

I currently have an ubunu server install on my Gen8 Mircroserver (xeon 1265 and 16gb ram) working today for media sharing where I have a single raid 0 setup for an SDD in the optical drive slot, and no other drive configured so they are simply picked up as AHCI devices I assume in ubuntu.  I have 4 6tb drives in the bays.

I am looking to add esxi so I can have my ubuntu server as was, but also have several VMs for testing different things in both linux and windows.s

I have installed esxi 6.0 onto an sd card and this doesnt see the drives that are not in the raid array.  If I turn off raid and just go AHCI the drives are seen but it fails trying to create a datastore and the logs indicate this is a driver issue with the controller not being setup correctly?  

I know I will need to downgrade the driver for the controller card as I have read about the poor performance, but this shouldnt impact the visibility of the drives should it?

Can I do anything to make these drives visible to esxi or do I need to set them all up as raid arrays to be visible and usable?

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Gen8 Microserver - HDD drive setup and ESXi?

From what I recall, if you have the controller in RAID mode, and attach a drive to the ODD port it will be seen by the array controller.  Someone posted in the forum that this configartion was having issue between reboots.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!