ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752572 Members
4546 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Gigabit Server Adapter Instance Name garbled

CA1337903

Gigabit Server Adapter Instance Name garbled

We have a tool which grabs performance monitor stats and shoves them into a database.

With this specific NIC the instance name occasionally appends characters to the end of the instance name.

Our current workaround is to reinstall the driver but I would like a better solution if anyone knows.

3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

We have a tool ?
With this specific NIC ??
Model NIC, Server ???
O/S ????

CA1337903

Sorry, brain dead.

The tool is called cortex (3rd party app, they say it is an HP issue), it is reading the windows 2000 (DL 380's) performance monitor metrics.

The NIC is the HP NC7781 Gigabit Server Adapter. Version 6.64.0.0 (which seems pretty old to me but I am just the dba, not the windows guy ;)

The instance name reported via the tool is appended with random ascii characters.

These two:
HP NC7781 Gigabit Server Adapter├Г
HP NC7781 Gigabit Server Adapter├Г┬┐├Г┬┐├Г┬┐├Г┬┐
came in today.

It happens a couple of times a week but not consistently enough that I can jump on the box and see the windows performance monitor combo box to verify it is screwy in there too. I do seem to recall having seen it appear in the combo box once but have been unable to replicate it.

It makes a mess of the data in the 3rd party app and I am hoping to find a solution I can force the windows guys to implement.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Simon, Garbled Information - usually due to: corruptions, language selection, encoding, not a compatible applications or plug-inn's, could be older software/applications, drivers, Agents, O/S SP. HP provide few applications as System Management Home Page, Insight Manager, Integrated Management Log Viewer, HP or COMPAQ System Tools, Network configuration Utility, beside that there would be few Options from Microsoft, Network Monitoring tools... is any other application see garbled characters?

Try to push with Maximum Updates on the software and Hardware Firmware's.
Is any chance to use other Third Party Application to compare with Cortex?

Garbled information exceptional object and typically all reports have different reason, however generally is software related.