ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753905 Members
9805 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Gurus familiar with old PROLIANT 2500 please help!

CA1351536
Occasional Contributor

Gurus familiar with old PROLIANT 2500 please help!

I got this old one as a gift from my friend.
I cleaned it and restored it patiently and it now does what it was suposed to do - downloading things 24h/day...

To award this for such a good service I bought 2 pentium pro 1mb cache processors for 14 dollars on ebay.But then I figured out that it may not be compatible since in its product documentation there is no mention of 1mb cache ppro.Then again, there were no 1mb cache beasts at the time documentation came out.So I am afraid to put them there, I could fry the board possibly.

So my question is:

IS PROLIANT 2500 COMPATIBLE WITH 1MB CACHE PPRO?
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

It will not fry a board, normally you should get unsupported processor detected or system will not power up, where it can lead to power lock where NVRAM clear needed, and following System partition (F10) access restore

If it not listed from quick specs is not supported by BIOS

CA1351536
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!

Tell me just one thing, if it is possible :

Is it better to have ppro 200mhz with 1meg cache or overdrive ppro 333mhz with 512 cache ?

I think overdrive, but what do you suggest ?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Normally BIOS can detect unsupported processor or wrong cache and generate some POST errors, you need to try├в ┬ж I have one of PL1200 running 333 (original 233) and no POST errors or any problem, stable like a rock.

Would be possibly for you to grab from eBay 1600 or 800 with dual PIII 500 for $50, at least it worth as a project