ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1745926 Members
4439 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

HDD in array "fails" requires reboot, then problem goes away

mark lampi

HDD in array "fails" requires reboot, then problem goes away

I've had a proliant ML350 for a while, all HDDs are model DB1000BABFF. and the controller is E200i with 128M cache.
the server is a SQL server. occasionally (about 7 times now) when there is heavy reads or writes a drive will be flagged as failed and the server needs to be rebooted, then everything is fine after that.
I found a firmware update for simliar drives on hp's website and the firmware states it fixes this problem. but the firmware is for models:EG0146FARTR and EG0300FARTT.
so it seems my drives are having the same problem as these drives, but there's no patch for it yet?
Windows system log shows "drive notification has been recieved for the sas physical drive located in bay 4......failure reason recieved is Hardware_error. is there anything else I can try or any known issues with this? thanks.
1 REPLY 1
Jerry Young
Occasional Visitor

Re: HDD in array "fails" requires reboot, then problem goes away

Hello Mark, depending on your O/S if you have the System Management Homepage installed you can login to see if you're getting a predictive drive failure alert on that particular drive, if you have iLO configured you may also want to review the logs there as well. Since you've had the server a while downloading the latest Firmware CD for your server and upgrading the firmware across the board may help as well. Lastly you may want to replace that particular drive and see if the issue is resolved