ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752578 Members
4857 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

HP G8 G1610T Microserver and Samsung EVO 850 (boot drive)

Philm_be

HP G8 G1610T Microserver and Samsung EVO 850 (boot drive)

Hello,

I've just bought two HP MicroServers G8 G1610T and I want to use a Samsung EVO 850 as boot drive (Windows Server 2016). It is my first experience with the G8 (I have two G6). The disk is recognized when I run the provisioning software, but NOT when I install Windows Server from a bootable internal USB key.

The installer alows to select a driver, but unfortunately, I don't find any driver for this SSD (that is normally managed by the Samsung Magician software on a running Windows).

The question is thus: what needs to be done to be able to use this Samsung EVO 850 SSD drive with the G8 ? I hope that someone already has the experience with it, as I now have 5 EVO 850 lying ready to be used...

It seems also that the set-up of this small box is more complex than before. Maybe I forgot some mandatory settings...

Thank you for your help !

Philippe

2 REPLIES 2
Philm_be

Re: HP G8 G1610T Microserver and Samsung EVO 850 (boot drive)

In this post: https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/MicroServer-Gen8-Logical-Drive-fail/m-p/6944243/highlight/false#M21306 , I've found the settings needed to disable the RAID controller. This allowed me to see the drive when installing Windows Server (installation is currently running).

Maybe there is still someone that could guide me on the way to keep the RAID controller active and be able to use the EVO 850 on my second server...

Philippe

pepe999
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP G8 G1610T Microserver and Samsung EVO 850 (boot drive)

Hi,

I had the same issues and then realized that at boot the default sata controller was the raid one. It needs to be changed for the SATA controller as the default (boot) however the RAID controller shouldn't be disabled.