ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753513 Members
5198 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP LXr 8500 processors

Tony Bossche

HP LXr 8500 processors

Can somebody tell me what kind of Xeon PIII processors I can use for my server HP LXr 8500? There are different kinds of Xeon PIII 700 MHz/2Mb processors for several types of manufactured machines like Dell, IBM ex.тАж. They are all 700MHz/2Mb but they look different. Infect, they are all 700/2Mb.
I donтАЩt find this information on the HP site. Is there somebody hoes can help me with this ??? Please can you tell me also why if I cannot use these procтАЩs.
3 REPLIES 3
CA793665

Hi Tony,

I suspect that some of the processors have slightly different formfactors in terms heatsinks and how the cpus get inserted into a given vendor's chassis. What you are probably looking for is either the HP P/ND9199A0 XEON 700/1M Upgrade Kit or the HP P/N D9200Ao XEON 700/2M Upgrade.
Intel (and I suppose HP as well) recommends "matching" the "stepping codes" processors for multiprocessor systems. This is a particular 5 digit code on top or edge of a given processor type. I've uploaded an example image for a PIII 700 1MB cache xeon. Note that the stepping code "SL4RZ." For more info about mixing stepping codes, see Intel's http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumii/sb/CS-011169.htm#Mixing%20Processor%20Steppings
The link specifically relates to PII chips, but is relevant for PIII Xeons as well.
Having said this, I THINK you can mix different stepping codes, but this may contribute to an increased potential for low-level system problems. Someone more knowledgeable than me about HP architecture might be able to tell you one way or the other about mixing processors.

Bryan
Tony Bossche

Thank you for the answer.
I understand that the stepping code is important and has to be the same for all the proc's on that motherboard.
When I see the proc's for IBM, HP and IBM, I see a difference in modelling. Some have a heatsink on top, other are a strait box with heatsink. I see also a difference is steps for almost every processor with a different frequency or bus casting.
At home I have several 700/2Mb with different steps. I know that I have to use the same step on each system. But what I want to know is can I use for example 4 proc├в s (same steps) with heatsinks on top for one LXR 8500 and can I use for example 4 proc├в s (same steps but different from the first) without heatsink on top but sideways.
The 700 MHz/2Mb are the same but the model and the step is different.
How can I find out which type of processors can I use for my LXr 8500? Is there a list about the processors that I can use for the LXr 8500? Can I install 400, 450, 500, 550 and 700 MHz with 256, 512 kb, 1 or 2 Mb? Which steps can I use on my HP LXr 8500????
Can somebody tells me this.
CA793665

Maybe this PDF can provide some additional information
"HP NetServer LH 4/4r, LXr 8000, and LXr 8500 Processor Upgrade Guide"

http://h50221.www5.hp.com/CPO_TC/server/doc/45301.pdf

(Interesting that the LXr8500 is grouped in with the LH4 I have at home).

Regarding your question "But what I want to know is can I use for example 4 proc├Г┬в├В ├В s (same steps) with heatsinks on top for one LXR 8500 and can I use for example 4 proc├Г┬в├В ├В s (same steps but different from the first) without heatsink on top but sideways. "...

I would possibly say "yes" to your question if by "sideways" you mean the orientation of the heatsink, as long as 1) the processors will fit into the cpu sockets correctly, and 2) the orientation of the heatsinks don't impede airflow and are able to permit airflow through the chassis to draw heat away from the heatsinks. This is obviously quite important since the heatsinks are usually passive.

Bryan