4759 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Linux PSP driver updating when kernel is updated

Rabie Van der Merwe
Occasional Advisor

HP Linux PSP driver updating when kernel is updated

Hi,

Just a question on how the PSP works and kernel updates.

When I install the PSP it will install either a precompiled module or it will compile a module to work with the current running kernel.
What happens if a kernel update comes out? Do you have to reinstall the PSP or is there a better way of doing things, also is there a way of building the PSP supplied modules for a new kernel BEFORE rebooting to the new kernel? Thus I dont have to reboot to the new kernel reinstall and then reboot again to have the new modules take effect.

Regards
Rabie
2 REPLIES 2
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Generally i've found when you update the kernel you need to re-install the PSP (using Redhat)

Also, the PSP's only support up to a certain kernel version. You need to check this. HP are usually 3 months behind the kernel version from my experience.
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Rabie,
The answer to your question is...it depends on the RPM. Some RPMs will recompile automatically when a new kernel version is detected. The iLO driver is built this way. Other drivers, such as the NICs must be re-compiled once the new kernel is operational, but in many cases, the version included with the kernel may be sufficient. Last, there are drivers that will detect all kernels that have been installed and create the necessary GRUB/LILO entries for all kernels. An example of this last one is the cpq_cciss RPM.

As the previous responder mentioned, it is best to re-install the PSP when you update the kernel. The PSP keeps track of what kernel different modules were installed on and reinstalls any that it needs to.

Also, there are RPMs that contain prebuilt binaries for the kernels they support. The cpq_cciss driver and certain Adaptec RPMs are this way. This is why the PSP prevents them from attempting to install on kernels where they do not have a prebuilt binary module that would work. This is why the PSP will sometimes report RPMs as not supporting the currently running kernel.

To net it out, if you want to have the last modules for a given kernel, it is best to reinstall the PSP after the kernel has been upgraded and after a reboot has occurred. It is also possible to run the PSP before the reboot occurs to ensure the storage drivers are up to date, but in most cases, the latest errata kernel will work until the PSP can be installed after the reboot.

Regards,
Michael Garner
Linux PSP Developer