ProLiant Servers - Netservers

HP ML350G4 and additional IDE RAID controller

CA1205688
Occasional Advisor

HP ML350G4 and additional IDE RAID controller

I have running ML350G4 with SmartArray 642, Win2000.
I want to install new IDE hard disk drives.
Because there are no primery IDE port (CD-ROM is attached to secondary), i obtain add-on IDE controller Promise FastTrack 150TX-2.
But both (SmartArray and FastTrack) controllers seems does not coexist na ML350G4.
Can not boot from SmartArray, even can not find eny HDD arrays attached to SmartArray.
Are there any compatible IDE controllers for ML350G4 with SmartArray 642?

D.Dimitrov
2 REPLIES 2
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: HP ML350G4 and additional IDE RAID controller

SCSI based Server usually will not support IDE controllers, there was some older Servers where it was easy to done, however in newer it really depend on the Controller, You might want to disable all Onboard SCSI from F9, and pull out 6th Gen Controller, just for Test IDE controller, you can verify if there is firmware Update available for IDE controller, sometimes it helps, of course System ROM should be up to date. With newer Server more easy to implement USB 2.0 external IDE Drives
CA1205688
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP ML350G4 and additional IDE RAID controller

IDE controller can run on ML350G4 on PCI-X 66MHz. I can install and run Win2003 when there are no SmartArray controller and no SCSI drives attached to embeded SCSI controller.
The problem is that Promise BIOS is loaded before SmartArray's BIOS, even setting SmartArray as first boot controller.

Thank you for advice. I will check for new fimware.