ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753386 Members
6336 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Microserver Gen10 CPU issues

in2thepit

HP Microserver Gen10 CPU issues

I am hoping that you can help with an issue I am having with my new HP Microserver Gen 10. Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place. 

The microserver CPU is constantly running at 100%. It occasionally dips but normally is maxed out. I have build the server from new using Samsung SSD drives in a Raid 1 configuration initially. I have also tried the following.

1. Single SSD with windows 10 Pro

2. Single SDD with Server 2016

3. Raid 1 with Server 2016.

4. Single SATA with Windows 10 pro.

I have updated the firmware. I have downloaded all the latest drivers from HP's portal.

I have tried to get support from HP but they are providing one excuse after another to explain why they cant support the server. Currently the server is about a month or so old.

HP Support responses..

1. Windows 10 isn't supported.. ( Despite having windows 10 drivers for this server on their portal)

2. SSD drives are not supported, (Despite the Gen8 supporting them with no Issues)

3. SATA drives are not supported unless they have HP branding. ( The Gen 10 is being sold on Amazon with Western Digital drives included)

We have tried killing of several services in Windows 10 as per articles that we have found online. We have set the Virtual Memory to refresh on reboot.

None of the above have achieved anything. 

As a result of the CPU running constantly at 100% the system is unbearably slow and cant be used to run even the most basic of tasks.

I should mention that we have multiple Gen8 microservers running windows 10 and server 2016 with SSD's and SATA's installed and we find the Gen8 to be excellent.

It looks like we have been left holding an expensive tin box.

Any help or advice at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Carl

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: HP Microserver Gen10 CPU issues

Hello,

1. Based on the server's QuickSpecs, the default storage controller Embedded Storage Controller, Marvell 88SE9230 PCIe to SATA 6Gb/s Controller, supports SSD drives.
  2. The recommended hard drive for the server is HPE 240GB SATA 6G Read Intensive SFF (2.5in) RW Digitally Signed Firmware SSD. To use this HPE MicroServer Gen10 Slim SFF SATA Enablement Kit (870212-B21) needs to be installed to accommodate this SFF SSD into the media bay.
  3. The QuickSpecs indicate that the operating systems supported are only the following as of now:
    1. Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
    2. Microsoft Windows Server 2016
    3. Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7.4
    4. ClearOS
  4. The driver page for the server shows listing for Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit), but the driver for the HPE Smart Array Gen10 controller is listed as " RECOMMENDED * HPE Smart Array Gen10 Controller Driver for Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016" and not for Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit).
  5. Furthermore, the driver page lists the following operating systems also, the driver for HPE Smart Array Gen10 controller is not listed at all.
    1. Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
    2. Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
    3. Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
  6. HPE, as part of standard configuration, does not support thrid party devices. If it offerred as part of the product, then please contact the seller/maker for further support.

Regards,
Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

rlsx
Occasional Visitor

Hello,
Commenting on an old message, about an extinct(?) hardware.
Did you ever solve the problem of CPU at 100% for Windows 10 on Microserver Gen10?
I am encountering the same problem.
Thanks!

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @rlsx,

Thank you for posting! You might want to consider creating a new topic by utilizing the ""New Discussion"" button, as this will not only enhance visibility compared to the old topic but also boost your chances of receiving responses from experts.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo