1752850 Members
3504 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Microserver Gen8 - False hard drive failure alerts

DeusMaximus
Regular Visitor

HP Microserver Gen8 - False hard drive failure alerts

For the past couple of months, my Microserver has been flagging either one of the two drives I have installed as failed and reporting it to HP (as the server is still under warranty). When I physically check the server, it reports that everything is perfectly fine and there's nothing to worry about.

In the event logs, I'll see an entry for "Storage Agents", it'll show an error with something like this:

IDE ATA Disk Status Change. The ATA disk drive with model Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and serial number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has a new status of 4.
(ATA disk status values: 1=other, 2=ok, 3=smartError, 4=failed, 5=ssdWearOut.
[SNMP TRAP: 14004 in CPQIDE.MIB]

...and then exactly two minutes later, it then has an entry like this:

IDE ATA Disk Status Change. The ATA disk drive with model Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and serial number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has a new status of 2.
(ATA disk status values: 1=other, 2=ok, 3=smartError, 4=failed, 5=ssdWearOut.
[SNMP TRAP: 14004 in CPQIDE.MIB]

When this occurs, it'll either report the big 4TB drive or the 500GB SSD but not both at once. Examining both drives with CrystalDiskInfo shows no failures, bad sectors, or anything else to worry about. The only entry in the Windows event log is from the HP Insight Storage Agents service, and there are no other telltale signs such as I/O errors or failure to write to the drives anywhere in the Event logs. Nothing else seems to occur when this alert sets off.

The system has a 4TB Seagate mechanical drive, and a 500GB Samsung SSD (boot drive). The onboard controller is in pure SATA mode, and the only change made to the system is I was previously using an LSI 9211-8i in IT mode, instead of the onboard controller. The OS is Windows Server 2016.

If it was the one drive, I'd assume the server was correct, but one of both drives seemingly at random? With nothing else indicating that either of these two drives has issues? The only common thread between these two drives is that they're not official HP drives.

Does anyone else have this issue on their Microserver?

------------------------------------------------
Microserver Gen8 G1610T, DL320e Gen8
1 REPLY 1
MeMEMEMEmemeME
Frequent Visitor

Re: HP Microserver Gen8 - False hard drive failure alerts

Can confirm.  Gen8, 2x Kingston 460's mirrored as boot (Bay1,2) - 2x HP provided magnetics mirrored in bays 3,4.

My failure presents at boot.  Never a notification that the drives failed or went offline anywhere (iLO, Win Event logs).  As the B120i initializes, it reports that bays 1,2 report online (WOW!) but data loss may have occured, press F2 to accept loss and continue..

Worked fine for 6 months.  No apparent driver updates, firmware updates were applied, or exist.

Last time I put non-HP parts in an HP server..