ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753546 Members
5576 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Microserver Gen8 RAM fail HELP...

AndyDK
Occasional Advisor

HP Microserver Gen8 RAM fail HELP...

Hi all,

I've bought new RAM for my HP Proliant Microserver Gen8.

But.... When i'm installing the RAM and start up the machine it got stuck at 90% in Progress Memory and QPI Initialization Start. When i'm logged in to iLO and look under Memory, it says:

Memory Location: Processor 1. Socket: 1 and 2 (two RAM of 8 GB totally 16GB) Status: Other HPE Memory, and here is the first N/A and the other one is HPE SmartMemory Partnumber: N/A Type: N/A and DIMM DDR3 Size: N/A and 4096MB. Maximum Frequency: N/A and 1600 MHz. Minimum Voltage N/A and 1.5V Ranks: N/A and 1. Techonology: N/A and UDIMM.

The RAM i bought is: HMT41GU6DFR8A-PB                 (Two 8 GB)

What is the problem....?  

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

AndyDK wrote:What is the problem....?  

The problem is probably that you didn't used a supported Memory Kit engineered for HP MicroServer Gen8 as per its QuickSpecs (see "Memory" chapter here at page 21 of 27), such the HPE 8GB (1x8GB) Dual Rank x8 PC3-12800E (DDR3-1600) Unbuffered CAS-11 Memory Kit (HPE SKU: 669324-B21).

If the two Hynix memory modules you installed were unrecognized by the MicroServer Gen8...they will remain that.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
AndyDK
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for fast reply! 

I've returned the RAM and now i want to buy the right one.... Can you please tell me which model types of RAM i can use? Otherwise its a jungle just to try and return.... :D 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

If I were you (I did that on my MicroServer Gen8 units) I would go with genuine HPE 8GB (1x8GB) Dual Rank x8 PC3-12800E (DDR3-1600) Unbuffered CAS-11 Memory Kit (HP SKU: 669324-B21).

The important part is the HP/HPE SKU provided above.

I'm not an HPE Employee
AndyDK
Occasional Advisor

Okay, thanks! 

But.... With that price, its double up if i take Kingston in similar...? :o 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Understood your line of reasoning (price point) but, from my point of view, you're speaking about an HPE ProLiant Server product (Gen8) and it deserves to be equipped with supported/certified HPE genuine parts/options no matter if it is cheap WRT other more expensive ProLiant servers...it's not a desktop you can built up from off-the-shelf-components from various vendors (permitted their compatibility)...it's a server...a micro form factor one but basically a server...indeed it support features (and introduces restrictions too) like ECC RAM and HPE iLO4 (IPMI) that you can't easily find so well integrated on normal desktop computers...so why using it if then a genuine RAM module's price will be a business stopper?

Totally possible that various RAM modules vendors declare full compatibility with HP ProCurve MicroServer Gen8 hardware...but it's up to you to trust them or not, if you go to the HPE genuine parts (as written on my first post), HPE is sole reponsible for options' certifications and interoperability (in other word HPE qualifies)...so yes you are going to pay more but the end result is that your options will work flawlessly with the server you have (peace of mind)...and you aren't going to spend hours in troubleshooting why a RAM module is not behaving as you expect it should.

I'm not an HPE Employee