1753776 Members
7284 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP NetServer LX Pro

CA217822
Occasional Contributor

HP NetServer LX Pro

I have a NetServer LX Pro that we purchased some time ago. It has a dual Petium Pro 200Mhz processor installed. When we purchased this machine, we were led to beleive that we could uprade this box to XEON processors in the future when they became available. Is this true? If so, where do I find information about what is available? What speeds are there that I could possibly go to? Or, am I just living in a dream world? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
6 REPLIES 6
CA698399
Honored Contributor

Hi Wade,

Unfortunately, your 200 MHz processors are the fastest that the LX Pro will support. Even the earliest Xeon processor requires a different chipset than does the Pentium Pro.

Hope this helps.
CA217822
Occasional Contributor

Rob,

So basically what you are saying is that we bought this big expesive machine that really does not have any upgrade path? If memory serves me correctly that is one of the selling points that caused us to purchase this machine, and spend so much money on it. I guess we could have bought many other boxes at that time and not paid near what we did for this one and been in the same boat as we are today. Except of course having more cash today because we did not spend it all on this box that we were supposed to be able to upgrade.

I do understand that there would have to be chipsets changed and the likes of that, but my understanding with this box is that there was supposed to be ways to convert the machine to something else. The same way that you could buy a conversion kit to turn an LH3 into an LH4. Is that not the case with this machine? Someone please help me out with this!!! Thank you in advance.
Aijaz Qureshi

I also have the same problem with HP NetServer LX Pro and would like to know what is the upgrade path of this machine.

Thanks,
Rachel Cardinal
Occasional Contributor

I'm curious as to how was it worth when you bought it? I just bought 76 x HP NetServer LXe Pro in a government lot. Some say I have myself a little fortune but I don't think I can get much of them. I am also curious as to whether or not they are upgradable.
Need advice
cyclotron

we paid 21000euros for the 6/2000
but I can't remember the options!
Our residual value of the Netserver is estimated at about 1000euros today. cheers, David
BR719606
Occasional Advisor

It's an OLD machine.

If you watch EBay - these machines, with dual processors and various size/number of disks sell from $60-300 USD.

They make a great backup server, and are almost bulletproof (at least mine has been).

One upgrade path - a cheap one - that I took, was to add a second set of processors. Cost from an EBay auction was $12.00 + $15.00 shipping. Installation was plug and play, no changes were needed to WIN2K Server to recognize the processors.

You also might consider upping the memory - adding a few Gb is also cheap using EBay.

NT (W2Kserver) loves processor clicks and memory. Give it enough and you have a machine that will run months between reboots (mine has been up and running for about 6 months now - only reboot was when I added the processors and memory).

I love machines built like the NetServer LX Pro - the hardware quality is so high, and so redundent that they never break, making it the perfect backup machine.

I use mine to do daily backups of several large websites I run - doing a complete mirror of each one on the machine.

I'm thinking of getting another one to use for scanned document storage since it can provide a lot of storage space at a very low price.

If you use it as a server - I doubt if you'll be disappointed.. it was never designed to be used as a workstation, and a $600 home machine with a 2GHz processor would be a better choice.

Try searching EBay with "LX Pro" - I think you'll be surprised what you find!