1753524 Members
5216 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Netserver E60

Richard_54
Occasional Contributor

HP Netserver E60

I have a PIII 500MHz machine, I was lookign for another 500MHz 512K cache processor and someone said I needed to get one that had the same stepping? I am trying to figure out if that is required or not.

Also what the maximum processor I can use if I choose to change out both processors?

Richard
3 REPLIES 3
BR642007
Respected Contributor

Richard,

It's not so easy, here's an example about P-III Xeon processors, but you can also use it for P-III CPU's
For support of dual CPUs with the same speed and cache size but with mixed stepping, HP conforms to Intel???s ???Mixed Steppings in DP Systems??? which is detailed in the following document: ???Intel Pentium III Xeon Processor Specification Update??? on Intel???s website.

http://www.intel.com/

Select Support, Processors, Pentium III Xeon Processors (or whatever processor is applicable), Specification Updates, Pentium III Xeon Processor Specification Update and download from one of the following:

?? U.S. FTP Server (Download within North America)
?? Mirror FTP Sites (Download from international areas)
?? U.S. Web Server (Available for byte serving)

Intel provides a Dual Processor matrix for Pentium III Xeon processors and it shows exactly which processors can be mixed and are supported. HP supports all mixing of steppings mentioned in the Intel document. In mixed stepping configurations, all processors must run at identical frequency, have the same L2 cache size, and the base die is the same.

For CPU slotting assignment with multiple processors, HP conforms to Intel???s specifications where the processor with the lowest stepping must be the Bootstrap Processor (BSP) as determined by the CPUID instruction. CPU slotting assignment makes no difference in a current HP Netserver since the system BIOS automatically determines the boot order by arbitrating each CPU???s stepping and selects the CPU with the lowest stepping as the Bootstrap Processor. The system BIOS places the remaining CPUs in the order of their stepping, with the next lowest being placed ahead of a CPU with a higher stepping, and so on.

The maximum CPU speed supported in a E60 is a Pentium-III 600 MHz, 512 kb Cache.

Marco.
CA706348

The maximum speed for the E60 is 700Mghz; the highest speed shipped was 650Mghz.
John Meisell

hows about pII-350... ? Where's doc on the cpu jumpers!?!