1753477 Members
4627 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Netserver LH II Boot Problems

slade01
Occasional Visitor

HP Netserver LH II Boot Problems

I have taken a HP Netserver LH II from the radio station my dad worked at.  Thing is that I need to see what is on the drives cause, we have another one of these at the station.  Thing is that I cant get it too boot from the cd disk drive, I put it as the first boot device but, starts too boot netware 4.11. 

5 REPLIES 5
Ali
HPE Pro

hi there,

Use the EISA Configuration Utility to make sure the CD-ROM drive is bootable. You will need a disk with the EISA Configuration Utility installed on it. If you do not have a disk available with the EISA Configuration Utility, you can trying clearing the system configuration and reconfiguring the server. Otherwise, do the following:

1. Review the Troubleshooting Checklist and read Boot Device Priority before you continue.
  2. Run the EISA Configuration Utility and select, "View or edit details."
  3. Go to "SCSI A - Device Configuration for Embedded SCSI" (or SCSI B if the CD-ROM is on that bus) and select "BIOS and Device Configuration."
  4. Change the "Support for Bootable CD-ROM" option to Enabled.
  5. Save and exit the EISA Configuration Utility.

or get the HP NetServer Navigator CD-ROM to start EISA configuration utility.

if it is booting to netware and you have admin rights  then you can access the information you have on the hard drive.

Hope the information provided is helpful. Click the Kudos Star! to recognise the same.
ITRC Style Sitemap.

thanks,

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

slade01
Occasional Visitor

Sorry, I ment too get back earlier this week.  I have it too be able too boot from the cd drive.  I have the Navigator disk but, it wont even start from that ether.   Would clearing the CMOS work?  If then I tried reappling the settings.

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi there,

Clearing the CMOS might help.

Clearing CMOS configurations in Netserver LH series

Erasing the system configuration using Config Valid
The Config Valid switch provides a simple means of erasing the configuration information currently stored in the HP NetServer’s memory. You might need to do this if the system has problems with its configuration.

CAUTION: Observe the Precautions for Handling Electronic Components.

To clear the system configuration, perform the following steps:

Turn off the HP NetServer and monitor; disconnect all external cables and power cords.

1. Remove the cover.
  2. Move the Config Valid switch to OFF (see System Board for switch location).
  3. Connect the power cord to the HP NetServer.
  4. Turn on the HP NetServer to clear the configuration.
  5. The power-on diagnostic fails and a number of error codes appear indicating that the configuration is no longer valid.
  6. Turn off the HP NetServer and disconnect the power cord.
  7. Move the Config Valid switch to ON.
  8. Replace the cover.
  9.  Connect all external cables and power cords.
  10.  Turn on the HP NetServer. Insert the HP NetServer Navigator CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and press the Reset button on the front of the HP NetServer.
  11.  Use the EISA Configuration Utility to reconfigure the HP NetServer server.

Also take a look at the CD-ROM troubleshooting article:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=50440&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440&objectID=tis02943

Hope the information provided is helpful. Click the Kudos Star! to recognise the same.
ITRC Style Sitemap.

thanks,

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!

Accept or Kudo

slade01
Occasional Visitor

I cleared the CMOS, check an made sure that cd drive was enabled too boot.  I still am having the same issues.  I have two navi disks an neither is booting from it.  The only thing I can think of is too see if the drive is good at all.  Also, wouldnt it be possible to put the files from the cd to a floppy?

Ali
HPE Pro

That's right. if CD-Rom cabling and data connections are secured, Boot sequence is also correct then swapping the CD-ROM drive with another drive looks to be only option to isolate the issue further.

How to assign KUDOS! Click the STAR!

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo